JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have searched and I must say the new site configuration stinks for searching.

Anyway, I suffered a complete electrical failure today. 2008 jku with 65k miles and a sears platinum battery with about 20k miles. This started on my way home from the store. Mistreated up and heard a whirrrrrrr that increase frequency with rpms. Started driving home and one by one warning lights kit the dash like a Christmas tree. Finally the dreaded lightning bolt and the jeep cutoff as I pulled in the driveway. )thankfully). What gives? I have tried the battery disconnect, no start. Jumping it off doesn't work. No clicks or noise at all when I truth start it. No lights. And I can pull no codes with the super chips.

Anything else I should try before I tow it to the dealership? Does it sound like an alternator? Or something bigger (tipm or PCM)?

Any help is appreciated:th_pray:

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Terminals looks good, clean? Check battery voltage, should be 12.6 or above. If not, either your battery lost a cell or the charging system is having issues. Or a combination of the two items above. If your battery is below 12.6, try charging it and get it back in the vehicle. There were a couple of threads about this not that long ago and I believe the evil was bad ground connection at the battery. Stubexrube had the same thing, couldn't jump it, but when he cleaned the terminal it was fine if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terminals look good and clean. I tightened everything down. I haven't put the metering it yet. I figured it wold jump if it was bad battery but seems these things can act screwy with a bad batt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Terminals look good and clean. I tightened everything down. I haven't put the metering it yet. I figured it wold jump if it was bad battery but seems these things can act screwy with a bad batt.
Computers in today's cars have to see a well-charged battery or the engine dies.
Try have the battery tested. That'll tell you whether it's dead and/or any good internally.
That has to be step one.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Any update? I hope for your sake it isnt the TIPM. Im going through this issue now and the Jeep has been in the shop for over 6 weeks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been out of town...but I got a new battery, installed it and then heard the alternator crapping out. Thing darn near caught on fire. So I shit it down and ordered a new alt.

Wil be installing that later today and will post an update.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the alt.

Yeah, the battery was bad. Fortunately it was a sears platinum,with full replacement. What I can't figure out it how the alt fried the battery. Oh well, everything appears a-ok now.

I have lost alts before and not had them behave like this. These gals are finicky to say the
Least

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
The internal regulator malfunctioned. It happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts