JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sport 2dr automatic. I can't figure out what is causing my mysterious electrical drain. It killed a 6yr old battery that was on its way out. Due to age I and winch use that it was just it's time to go.

So instead of buying a new battery I took my lightly used Optima dual purpose from my trailer winch and put it in the Jeep after charging it. Worked fine, but if the weather is nice and I ride my Harley to work for a week or 2 the Jeep is usually completely dead. I have never had this issue before and never had an issue with this battery holding a charge before either.

I have even disconnected all aftermarket electrical to eliminate that as a possible issue. Anyone have any experience with tracking electrical drains on a JK?

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
I have a 2012 Sport 2dr automatic. I can't figure out what is causing my mysterious electrical drain. It killed a 6yr old battery that was on its way out. Due to age I and winch use that it was just it's time to go.

So instead of buying a new battery I took my lightly used Optima dual purpose from my trailer winch and put it in the Jeep after charging it. Worked fine, but if the weather is nice and I ride my Harley to work for a week or 2 the Jeep is usually completely dead. I have never had this issue before and never had an issue with this battery holding a charge before either.

I have even disconnected all aftermarket electrical to eliminate that as a possible issue. Anyone have any experience with tracking electrical drains on a JK?
Can't help with tracing the electrical drains, but I have had an Optima do exactly what you're describing. How old is it? Could be (unfortunately) time to replace that one too.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't help with tracing the electrical drains, but I have had an Optima do exactly what you're describing. How old is it? Could be (unfortunately) time to replace that one too.
It's less then 2yrs old. The previous battery was an Optima Red top that was abused with a 2000watt stereo for 4yrs then when that car was totaled it went into the Jeep and abused with a winch and put lived the entry level name brand winch (moderate load long pulls fequently). So when it died after 6yrs of that I wasn't surprised. But the newish barely used and put on a battery tender dual purpose has only been in the Jeep for 2 months and only used for starting... I guess I can try another battery. Or pull it and do a leak down test... If I remember how lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts