Votes: 13 100.0%
  • U.S. General at Harbor Freight

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I know i am going poll CRAZY but i need to get a tool box because i went out this weekend and bought a bunch of stuff and i need help. I am torn between two:

U.S.General 11 drawer roller cabinet at Harbor Freight for $160
17" D x 27" W x 52" H
151 pounds
3" casters with 350 pounds capacity over all
90 day warranty
http://www.harborfreight.com/11-drawer-roller-cabinet-67421.html

Craftsman 11 drawer 3 piece combo at Sears for $220
26" W x 18"D x 45 3/4"H
114 pounds
4" casters with 500 pound capacity overall
1 year warranty
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_009CO47209101B?vName=Storage+%26+Garage&sName=Chest+%26+Cabinet+Combos&cName=Tool+Storage&blockNo=6&blockType=L6&prdNo=6&i_cntr=1329769952247

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Sorry but they both suck, slider drawers are miserable. Search on Craigslist and put what budget you have toward a second hand ball bearing slider box, I've given away that Craftsman box before. Hated it.

I have the second biggest Kobalt box ("the fridge") which has done me well. I am not one to get wrapped up in $10,000 boxes, but it worked well for me at BMW daily. At the bare minimum you want ball bearing sliders. Period.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
+ if you don't have a work bench, get a horizontal box..bench top is worth a LOT to someone in the garage frequently.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol @ toymaster! goody i updated the OP.... the craftsman is ball bearing but i cant find more info on the US general one..... and i am going to look at the husky one.... i like the craftsman because the 11 drawers are all full width where the US general one 3 drawers are smaller 1/3 drawers on the top...

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
lol @ toymaster! goody i updated the OP.... the craftsman is ball bearing but i cant find more info on the US general one..... and i am going to look at the husky one.... i like the craftsman because the 11 drawers are all full width where the US general one 3 drawers are smaller 1/3 drawers on the top...
Don't get caught up on drawer numbers. I prefer fewer drawers and bigger drawers. Those little drawers on the top Craftsman are pretty useless. It leaves you to flat storing wrenches and laying down screwdrivers that just end up rolling around to the back.

You do want something deep enough for big wrench racks as well. Most of the Craftsman drawers are hardly an inch and change high. No way could you fit something like the 8-24mm gear wrench set in this picture.

A nice waist high, deep wide drawer is what I use the most. Standing up sockets is the best way to sort/organize them, period.

Just my 2cents, I've got a few bucks and hours invested in tools and organization. What bothers me probably won't bother most.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,650 Posts
That black US General box is junk IMO. It's cheap, sure, but you're throwing money away. If I were you I'd save a little longer and buy that other one.

By the time you outfit the Craftsman with drawer liners and such you'll be in deeper than you think. The one I linked has them in it, ball bearing slides, ect. It's a nice box and for $359 it's a good deal.

You can always go in there with a 20% off coupon and they'll sell it to you $319.20 which is $399 - 20%.

I think you're throwing money away with either of your current choices. I shopped a lot and this one was the most bang for the buck.

Marcus

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn....... well in the 225 and under category what am i looking at then? i thought i was on to something! i am going to look at those bad boys when i get off and appreciate the input!

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
I still don't think the posted Husky is too bad. For $180, seems like a decent deal to me actually. Hard to tell how wide it is however. If you could hold off until Father's Day or something, that's usually a decent tool box sale time. I know I ended up getting my $1100 Kobalt for $750 or something out the door when it was on sale with a 10% of moving coupon (just go online and fill out the "moving" form and they'll send you a 10% off coupon)

·
V8 dreams
3,573 Posts
i like my little shitty harbor freight tool box. has enough drawers to hold my limited amount of tools i acquire from working on the jeep and the house.

now if i were a mechanic i'd look at snap-on...and then possibly sell a kidney

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
now if i were a mechanic i'd look at snap-on...and then possibly sell a kidney
Over-rated. The guys that all worked next to me had thousands wrapped up in their tool boxes. Held tools just the same, tools make you money...not the box.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
27"... a little wider then the others!

·
V8 dreams
3,573 Posts
Over-rated. The guys that all worked next to me had thousands wrapped up in their tool boxes. Held tools just the same, tools make you money...not the box.
it's the nicest box i've ever been around, used, had the privilege of moving to texas (very scary time on the hydraulic lift with that monster). and when you are a mechanic and you can write that shit off, why not?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.