JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really, this one is a mall crawler. I bit the bullet on a JK for my DD while waiting for my Copperhead Rubi to be orderable and show up. So this is going to be a very light build and will see little wheeling time.

I'm looking for bumpers that will qualify more as road armor than bulletproof wheeling bits. Between all of the assholes I commute with and getting rear ended recently, I want something that can be kissed by a Prius or backed into by jerk-off soccer moms without worry and that will protect the Jeep's body. I prefer full width and don't want it to weigh a shitload. Not costing an arm and leg is a bonus.

I thought some of the EBay pieces might fit the bill, but I found a full width rear and the damn thing was 90 lbs. Ideas?

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you want full width and lightweight what about something like Genright's new aluminum full width? Granted it costs an arm and a leg but its close to what you want.
Another one although not full width is the LoD armor lite mid width. It comes out fairly far for a mid width and doesn't weigh too much.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is exactly why I come to this site....I forgot about JCR - I really like those guys for a bunch of reasons - and I had no idea that LOD had a lite model.

I like the JCR full width and their prices are usually spot on, but 885 for an unfinished bumper is feeling pretty damn expensive. It's a bit heavy also.

The LOD lite.... Right up my alley. I've been thinking this whole time about a steel bumper made of 1/8 to stay strong but keep the weight down, that doesn't cost a small fortune, and hopefully looks good with the lines of the JK and not like something from Mad Max like most aftermarket bumpers would be nice. Check, check, and check. It's good to see someone thinking about structural design rather than the brute force through thick angular plate approach. Smart stuff there. I'll almost certainly go with these.

Supposedly the rear lite version is on its way any day now. By coming only to JKO I miss out hearing about a lot of this stuff, you rarely hear about LOD here.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I've got an LOD rear w/tire carrier. The thing is beefy and can take abuse. Finish isn't the best, but not a big deal to me.

It's pretty heavy and $$$$ though. If the lite is built like mine, I'd say its a good buy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the JCR front stubby bumper and it's really well made, the price was right and it got to my door pretty quick. Also easy to mount my Ramsey 9500 winch with no problem. Their stuff does come in bare steel which is nice if you're not sure if you want to paint or powder coat them to match your rig.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the ORFAB mid width winch bumper for OE fog lights. It's really nice. It's not to heavy....90 lbs or so it felt like.

Ordered a LED matching rear. I'll have about 800 in both. Looking at the teraflex carrier.

Amazon. In stock. Ships fast.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
For a street Jeep I'm just gonna say it, the stock bumpers are fine. If you are getting hit to the point where you are worried about body damage, an aftermarket bumper probably won't help. If you get a light tap and mess up a factory bumper, there are literally hundreds littering craigslist and the for sale section for near free.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nothing wrong with stock for street use, but sounds like you want a better look for you DD along with some better protection. I would recommend taking a look at Paramount bumpers. They look good, well built, and you can't beat the price. I recently got a new Paramount front bumper from CARID and am very happy with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts