JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys -

New 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited owner as of Friday (2 days ago). I drove the Wrangler Unlimited home from a Mercedes Benz dealer. It was a trade in with 4K miles on it in excellent condition. Before I left the dealership, they performed an alignment and inspection on the vehicle.

After driving it home 2 hours, and as I approached my home, I took a right turn at a traffic light, felt the wheels slip a little, and before I knew it, I was losing control of the vehicle and could not course-correct my right turn. The jeep's front wheels were locked in a "right turn" position and would not turn left no matter how hard I tried to turn the wheel left. Had to have it towed back to the dealer.

The dealer will be looking at it Monday - but my question is what could this be??? I NEVER put the Jeep in 4WD. AAA tow truck guys said they've never seen anything like it. They looked under the Jeep and saw nothing bent or hanging, everything looked good to them.

Please help, would love your take on this - first time Jeep owner that isn't too auto savvy!

Thanks,

Urbana_Red

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Probably something binding up in the steering gear box. My old 2011 did this one time in a parking garage. I was able to crank the steering wheel hard and it popped past where it was binding. I drove it another 6 month's and it didn't happen again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, no other pics, including pics of steering components.

I'm really trying to see if some of the members can help me gauge how serious the problem may be and if I should consider nixing this car deal I made 2 days ago (if at all possible). I know I'm not giving you guys much as far as pictures go, sorry.

Not sure if anyone has seen this or is able to provide an educated guess on the seriousness of the issue. Just want to make sure I don't get screwed over! It still has the balance of a 3-yr factory warranty.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sorry, no other pics, including pics of steering components.

I'm really trying to see if some of the members can help me gauge how serious the problem may be and if I should consider nixing this car deal I made 2 days ago (if at all possible). I know I'm not giving you guys much as far as pictures go, sorry.

Not sure if anyone has seen this or is able to provide an educated guess on the seriousness of the issue. Just want to make sure I don't get screwed over! It still has the balance of a 3-yr factory warranty.
It will be hard for us to gauge how serious it is without pictures or anything.

If you like the Jeep and got a good deal then have them replace whatever is wrong and keep it. If you just got it 2 days ago then I'd expect them to cover it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a similar problem with my rig, wouldn't turn left at all. It was due to a taco'd tie-rod and a bent trac bar. Like others have said, could very possibly be the steering components.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It will be hard for us to gauge how serious it is without pictures or anything.

If you like the Jeep and got a good deal then have them replace whatever is wrong and keep it. If you just got it 2 days ago then I'd expect them to cover it.
^^^this

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Luckily these steering systems aren't complicated. Have the dealer replace the steering gearbox and definitely inspect the u-joints. I doubt the dealer balks too much if the steering is still in fact locked up, if they do, go to Chrysler/Jeeps customer service line and be ready to complain.

Oh and the low-pros definitely contributed to it. :D

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It's possible that it's the stabilizer shock's clamp. if it were loose enough to slide in one direction but lock when going the other.. Here's to hoping it's that easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Guys -

Thanks for all of the advice for a JK newbie. Appreciate it! Will hear back from the dealer today to see what the problem was.

Urbana_Red

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Wonder if it might have something to do with the steering wheel locking mechanism OR you have a far right conservative jeep that doesn't like the left. :gluging:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had a shop do an alignment and they decided to loosen the steering stabilizer clamp for some dumb reason and tightened it after the bracket shifted. Multiple of their brand shops couldn't figure it out. Took me 5 minutes to figure out just by looking at it. Made sure to write a letter to their company explaning that Jeeps are one of the easiest vehicles to work on and that their techs treat it like is some kind of rare unknown vehicle. Hope the dealer finds it and fixes it quick.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
drove home from Mercedes Benz dealer. Before I left they performed an alignment and inspection on the vehicle.

Wow. Something tells me they didn't even do an alignment or an inspection before you picked it up. If they work on Mercedes they should be a little more adept than the average dealer and a thorough inspection should have included a test drive by the tech putting it through its paces before handing you the keys.

My suggestion would be to have them reinspect it with you by their side while they go through EVERYTHING. If they missed something as simple as a jeeps steering system who knows what else they overlooked. If they find something easy like a loose pitman arm nut or a loose stabilizer bar clamp then that will tell you right there they didn't do shit.

From there I'd request to have it further inspected by your mechanic or perhaps a local Chrysler dealership (reluctantly) who at least sees these rigs on a daily basis and might be able to just double check their inspection.

Chances are it's only something simple but it could be a bad gearbox, stripped sector shaft or other steering components failed. Good luck today!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Guys - Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice on what may be wrong or what to look for/ask the dealer.

Basically, this is what the dealer told me (sorry if it doesn't make full sense - He's a sales guy and I'm not auto savvy)

A steering bracket came loose and the steering moved. Since this happened, the shock absorber went to full extension and stayed that way. This made the wheels lock in the right-hand position and stay stuck.

The dealer is replacing all of the steering components that I mentioned and will test drive it so they ensure this doesn't happen again. Is this whole situation making sense and is it on the up and up?

PLUS - the AAA Tow Guy pulled up the E-brake and snapped the whole E-brake and broke it. Do I have the worst luck???

Thanks guys!!

Urbana_Red

1 - 20 of 22 Posts