JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken the hardtop off and am trying to switch to the softtop but, I have no instructions (figured they'd be in the box but, NO!!!). It is the stock dual top group. I can find videos of how to take the top up and down but, they don't help because I need installation instructions for the door surround pieces and some random little brackets that I can see no possible use for. Please help!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
11,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
What year JK? I know how the 2007-2009 tops work, but not the 2010-up.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have an '07, so I can only speak to the earlier style of top.
The surrounds should be fairly easy to figure out. I think they are marked "L" and "R". Two pieces go on each side. The piece that folds in two is the rear door surround. The front pieces can be a little tricky, but only line up with the bolt holes one way.
The only brackets you will have are the metal ones that bolt to the cage in the back, and that the top attaches to. And the two plastic brackets for the rear window bar, that just slide onto the tub rail in the back.

Give it a shot and let us know if you get stumped. I believe you should be able to figure it out without any instructions. :beer:

AMP

·
Registered
338 Posts
What year JK? I know how the 2007-2009 tops work, but not the 2010-up.
2010 hard top is the same

only diff on the 2010 soft top is they dont have the tuckable drip rail above the doors, the top just lays down and latches in place

2011 tops are the same just longer (ie wont work on 07-10)

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally found install instructions on Quadratec's website (a PDF file, VERY helpful!!!). It was sorta straightforward but, there were a couple peices that I woulda had no clue where to place without finding the instructions. My only complaint is- the front latches were a BITCH!!!! I scratched the crap outta my latch hoops trying to get it latched until I came up with a "creative" solution.

The owner's manual was NO help whatsoever!!! The top had a tiny bit of instructions that mostly said "look at the owner's manual" but, all the owner's manual had was a really pretty picture instruction set of how to put the top up and down, not how to mount it in the first place. (BIG difference, I coulda figured out the up and down fine, it was the "what the heck does this do, and where?" that was killing me!!!

Oh, yeah, "creative" solution-
After MUCH swearing, scratching of hoops, and burning of my fingers (90+ degrees and an all black top and hardware that have been in the sun for by that point many hours) (coming out of my mouth was enough swearing that my neighbor from down the street came over to see what the heck was going on!), I noticed the top was bulging over the sound bar and that flattening that bulge yielded the length that I was missing at the front (like 1/8") so, I put a rope around the soft top hoop over the soundbar and had my neighbor pull down and forward- the latches went on like butter!!! I wish I had figured that out before 2 hours in the heat, deep scratches on the little hoops where the latches go, burnt fingers, and 200+ swear words yelled at the top of my lungs!
Tonight I have had quite a few well earned: :beer::beer::beer:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, and my Jeep is a 2011. I am glad that y'all clarified that the 2010+ don't have the wrap around pieces that loop around the drip rails, I had found a little video detailing those and was wondering why mine doesn't have them!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Try latching the front first then the back next time, I did it with my TJ and now my JK and it works great for me

·
Registered
234 Posts
^^^^X2 latch the front then hook it on to the back tub. Also, do it on a hot sunny day to stretch it out easier as the first time in cold weather is a B with a bad itch!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
There is a video on youtube
Little brackets? - Probably the ones that go on the edge of the top one on each side of the rear door so the rear windows bar has something to sit in. Not 100% necessary to use them but it helps keep water out.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try latching the front first then the back next time, I did it with my TJ and now my JK and it works great for me
All the instructions that I did find said specifically to do the back first, so, that's what I did. Seems like doing the back last would kill your fingers on that edge???

^^^^X2 latch the front then hook it on to the back tub. Also, do it on a hot sunny day to stretch it out easier as the first time in cold weather is a B with a bad itch!
It was plenty hot! (90+) I wouldn't even attempt it on a cold day after how much of a pain it was today!

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a video on youtube
Little brackets? - Probably the ones that go on the edge of the top one on each side of the rear door so the rear windows bar has something to sit in. Not 100% necessary to use them but it helps keep water out.
Tried You-tube, had only marginal luck.

Yup, those are the brackets, before I found Quadratec's instructions, I was clueless as to where the heck they would go! (Heck, I didn't even know where the bar went (the back window bar)!) The last softtop vehicle I have owned was a 69 Bronco, the back window snapped to the tailgate (with some velcro added for extra sealing power, LOL!)!

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On a sort of off topic note (but related since I took the hardtop off to run the softtop)- is it okay to store my hardtop on the floor? I have it sitting on top of some flattened down boxes right now (so that it doesn't get worn by the concrete garage floor) BUT, I am wondering if it can actually support itself off the Jeep or, am I going to have issues with the hardtop spreading under its own weight?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
All the instructions that I did find said specifically to do the back first, so, that's what I did. Seems like doing the back last would kill your fingers on that edge???
Pull down on the top bar then hook the top under the edge on the back.

On a sort of off topic note (but related since I took the hardtop off to run the softtop)- is it okay to store my hardtop on the floor? I have it sitting on top of some flattened down boxes right now (so that it doesn't get worn by the concrete garage floor) BUT, I am wondering if it can actually support itself off the Jeep or, am I going to have issues with the hardtop spreading under its own weight?
Shouldn't be an issue, I used to put mine on a few 2x4's to have it off the ground but never had any issues with it spreading.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts