JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I've just purchased a bunch of these switches to power my LED lights. Trouble is, I can't figure out how to wire them. I have four wires: 1) 12v positive from battery 2) 12v positive dimmable from dash illumination 3) common ground 4) load wire going to LED.
http://a.co/2e9yzRL

I think this switch doesn't do what I want. What do you thing? It seems to switch a negative and I assume the dimmable dash is a positive. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
That switch uses 2 grounds and 1 hot(battery) and 1 switched hot(load). 1)Switched power to load 2)Battery 3)Ground 4)Ground
The switch LED's might not be dimmable.
The switch is only rated at 20A, depending on the lightbar you may need to add a relay(probably a good thing to do anyway)

·
Registered
83 Posts
In that configuration no, you cannot dim your power source.
Take the Dimmer out and it will work depending on the lightbar wattage

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The 12 volt dim-able wire would be to power the light on the switch so it is illuminated at night. A relay has nothing to do with overloading a circuit, if you are worried about overload then a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery connection it what you should use.

After looking at the actual switch, the switch itself has two LED indicator lights in it and will power one light.

Hook two wires to the battery side with a fuse and the light to the load end. The illumination (dimmer) wire to the dash. The diagram is not correct and does not show the illumination wire. Yo must also ground the load which can be just to the mounting bracket.

This switch should work fine for what you are doing.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The second ground is just to handle the illumination led on the switch when you turn the lights on. The diagram should have the illumination wire connect to where the R2 is. If you hooked it up like the diagram shows your illumination light would always be on. There is also no switch at LED 2 as the switch to that light would be the light switch in the vehicle. Typical wrong instructions from China.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts