JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got rid of my factory headlamps and replaced them with the Hella Vision Plus 7" Round conversion. I had to change the wiring harness because the factory lights would not interchange and the new lights use an H4, HB2, 9003 bulb. Now when I turn on my lights, the lights come on, but I think they are on high. When I switch to the high beams, my lights dim and they barely work. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to this problem?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Stock wattage bulbs?
No relay set up?
Double check your wires to see that you got the correct wire going to the correct terminal, sounds like either a bad ground but probably a reversed wire.

If I remember correctly:
Brown-Ground
Blue-High beam
White- Low beam.

Be careful because your canbus is probably going WTF?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wattage is whatever came with the replacement lights. I'm not sure about the relay. I cut out the factory plug and replaced it with a NAPA harness that fits a 9003 bulb. I was told by NAPA that it doesn't matter what wire goes where. I just know things aren't working as they should.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I would call BS on doesn't matter what wire goes where, I would pull the plug back a but and test each prong coming out of the lamp and verify the correct polarity and low/high is correct. But there is no such thing as does not matter wiring in a dc voltage set up, i'm not familiar with their product/plug, but I am well versed in 12v electronics. I am sure your ground is wrong at this point.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Now when I turn on my lights, the lights come on, but I think they are on high. When I switch to the high beams, my lights dim and they barely work.
The connectors are wired incorrectly.

IIRC the factory wiring is:

1-Hi
2-Gnd
3-Lo

and a H4 bulb is

Lo

Gnd Hi

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Phil,
Have you solved your problem. My brights are great, but I can barely see with my lo beams.
Not really. Despite wiring the lo beams direct from the battery they are still really dim. I've tried several different bulbs and it makes no difference. Hi beams are excellent.

I spent a while aiming them which improved things a little, but there's no changing the fact the lo beam is dim.

Maybe some more powerful bulbs would help, but then you will have to go through the whole thing with relays/capacitors/diodes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phil,
Check the order of your connections. I had the ground on the wrong prong. Once I determined which wire went with which prong, everything worked great. The ground is on the on one of the ends, not in the middle as you mentioned earlier. Once you get it on the correct prong, it is just a matter of determining which prong the high and low go on. Once I figured all this out, everything worked great. The new lights burn like they should and I would not consider going back to the factory headlights.
Randy

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Phil,
Check the order of your connections. I had the ground on the wrong prong. Once I determined which wire went with which prong, everything worked great. The ground is on the on one of the ends, not in the middle as you mentioned earlier.
Hmmm, the service manual shows it in the middle. I wonder if they did a model year change? Which may explain why the Delta wiring was wrong. I'll certainly play around with it and double check it though.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Turns out I had the Lo and GND terminals reversed at the H4 socket, which you would think wouldn't make any difference to Lo beam, but there is more to the story.

The factory wiring provides voltage to both filaments of the bulb for Hi and Lo beams, it just varies the amount.

LO BEAM
Lo - 12.8 v
Hi - 10.5 v

HI BEAM
Lo - 10.5 v
Hi - 12.8 v

Using relays I was losing out on the lower voltage been applied to the opposite filament, and the lo beam filament by itself was just sad, but with 10.5 v on the hi filament at the same time it works great. So I ripped out all the relay stuff and every thing works great now.

If only the adapter was wired correctly to start with I wouldn't have had to mess with any of this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts