JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to off-road customization and can't decide which to go with. I hear Rancho long bar suspension is good as well as Rubicon Express long bar. Help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
There are many good choices out there. I've been very happy with Teraflex quality and especially customer service. I would HIGHLY recommend you check out Poly Performance though. They are top notch.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My Clayton Manufacturing 3.5" kit is top quality. Of course we're not helping you by suggesting even more choices are we. It might help to know a little bit more about your offroad driving habits or if you *gasp* just want the kit for looks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So far all 4 of these are in my final list. I'm looking at final engineering of trackbar and draglink components at this point. Clayton and Poly are the finalist.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So far all 4 of these are in my final list. I'm looking at final engineering of trackbar and draglink components at this point. Clayton and Poly are the finalist.
Of the non long arm kits, these are the two that I am trying to decide between. I have a few more months to decide so I haven't really looked closely yet. They both look like well engineered kits.

What will you be looking at for the trackbar and draglink? I'm new to jeeping so I'm not sure how the drag link flip kit on the PP kit is better than what clayton is doing.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Currently neither Poly Performance or Clayton currently offer long arm kits (AFAIK). This is because the design of the JK has substantially longer arms than the TJ it replaced and many believe that a long arm kit is unnecessary for lifts below about 6".

This is a write up on the Poly Performance Stage III lift that I wrote for Off-Road.com. That links to the entire article and everyones responses. This link is to the engineering specific section of the article. Hopefully reading that may help answer your questions (well... at least I hope it helps ;)).

The big differences between the two kits have to do with the way one handles the front axle suspension/steering components vs. the other. After that you get into smaller details. It was these factors that put me over the edge in choosing Poly over Clayton.

Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well it is a brand new stock 2007 JK X edition, looking for suspension lift not body lifts I like to off-road not look pretty. Around 4' to 4'.5''. Don't know why I did not go TJ has more options for the moment.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well it is a brand new 2007 JK X edition, looking for suspension lift not body lifts I like to off-road not look pretty. Around 4' to 4'.5''. Don't know why I did not go TJ has more options for the moment.
more options as far as what?

99.9% of all the lift manufactures make a JK lift and the good manufactures have a quality lift.

·
Registered
441 Posts
There is more aftermarket support for the TJ overall, because it's been on the market longer. However, as far as lift kits go the market is saturated for either. You have plenty of options.

How big of tires do you want to run?
Do you have any height limitations (garage, State laws)?
Do you have a budget?

·
Registered
541 Posts
What tire size do you want to run?

a 4"-4.5" lift on JK's doesn't really need to be stepped up to longarms really. The short arms in JK's are much longer than the older TJ Wranglers.

Teraflex, Tuff Country, and PolyPerformance all make kits that I would be happy to run. on my Jeep. 3" Warrior kit is good too, and 3.5" Clayton kit...well, clayton's rep speaks for itself.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have ran several systems on my Jeeps in the past, but have had the good fortune of working with Poly Performance on my JK. I really like the set up, engineering etc. i thik what you will find is people are happy with the lift THEY have. RE and Poly seem to thought of everything. Having expierence with other companys, i am still always impressed with the Customer Service at Poly as well, I think it is second to none.

A

·
0 Posts
I’m another Poly customer (synergy III 4.5”) and have no complaints. It’s a very well engineered kit and comes with everything you’ll need. If you run 12.5 wide tires you’ll need a 3.75" – 4.25" BS on the wheels (IMHO).

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Of the non long arm kits, these are the two that I am trying to decide between. I have a few more months to decide so I haven't really looked closely yet. They both look like well engineered kits.

What will you be looking at for the trackbar and draglink? I'm new to jeeping so I'm not sure how the drag link flip kit on the PP kit is better than what clayton is doing.
What size tire do you want to run.....? A long arm set up is only really needed to run tires 40" are taller (5+ inches of lift).

·
Registered
71 Posts
What size tire do you want to run.....? A long arm set up is only really needed to run tires 40" are taller (5+ inches of lift).
I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

I am only looking to run 35's with 3 - 4 inches of lift. I am already set on either PP or clayton but trying to decide between the two.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

I am only looking to run 35's with 3 - 4 inches of lift. I am already set on either PP or clayton but trying to decide between the two.
Are you planning on upgrading your drive shafts at the same time you do your lift...?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have ran several systems on my Jeeps in the past, but have had the good fortune of working with Poly Performance on my JK. I really like the set up, engineering etc. i thik what you will find is people are happy with the lift THEY have. RE and Poly seem to thought of everything. Having expierence with other companys, i am still always impressed with the Customer Service at Poly as well, I think it is second to none.
I can honestly say there is NO other customer service better then Poly, they answer questions, take care of you when needed, and make things go very smoothly.

·
Registered
630 Posts

I too narrowed my "new" kit down to Claytons and polys. both use quality components and are very helpful customer service wise.

The deciding factor for me is I was going to DEFINITELY purchase Polys HD tie rod and drag link. This then made me want their Trac Bar relocation bracket to keep everything steering straight.
After adding it up the price for the poly kit was going to much cheaper with their HD steering and relocation brackets being added onto a kit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another happy Poly customer. :bounce: I have their 3" Synergy II kit (because Dave and Garrett said for your needs don't spend money on the III kit.) I am also running their spec'd shocks as well.

Yeah, i like these guys....I too looked at Clayton but they didn't address the front trackbar like Poly did. My jeep steers and handles better then it did stock. Weird as that sounds..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts