JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have diff fluid leaking out of the front drivers side axle tube onto the steering knuckle. I just changed the fluid. Could this be from overfilling it? Or is the axle tube seal leaking and need to be replaced? Its a Dana 30 with 4.88's and ARB locker that were installed 9 months ago.
Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have diff fluid leaking out of the front drivers side axle tube onto the steering knuckle. I just changed the fluid. Could this be from overfilling it? Or is the axle tube seal leaking and need to be replaced? Its a Dana 30 with 4.88's and ARB locker that were installed 9 months ago.
Thanks
Definitely could of over filled, I did on my 30 & had a little drip on the drivers side below the overflow tube(took a little back out)...no leak now. Look up in your drivers side wheel well & see if your over flow tube is soaking wet with Diff fluid, you'll see it pretty quick if it is. I feeled mine until it ran back out, old school didn't work, Rockcrusher Diff covers have a slightly larger capacity.
The capacity for the D30 front is 2.7 pts.

The capacity for the D44 rear is 4.75 pts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I just drained it and refilled it with the proper amount of fluid ran it and am currently waitinf for leakage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all fluid leaked out! I think I am going to put a 44 in its place now. Anyone want a Dana 30 with 4.88's and an ARB Locker.

·
Registered
592 Posts
How hard have you been abusing your jeep? Any jumping or hard bottoming out? The front housings bend very easy, I have bent a JK 30 and 44, they have the same size axle tubes. If they are bent bad, the axle shaft will not be centered in the seal and will leak, it leaked on both of my bent housings. Look at the camber and if is looks way out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have not abused it at all. I have not even had the chance to really wheel it yet. I had someone tell me that it could be due to overfilling. Overfilled it and the seal blew out is this possible wouldnt the fluid leak out of the breather tube?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Overfilled it and the seal blew out is this possible wouldnt the fluid leak out of the breather tube?
If you overfill it, it will come out the vent tube. If you have stock covers I don't think you can overfill it using the fill plug. Sounds like a bad axle seal, which is a PITA to change. But you can get Superior outer axle seals for the JK D30 now I believe. I have a small leak on my passenger side front D44.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
all fluid leaked out!
??? All the fluid can't leak leak out of the axle tube. The bulk of the fluid is below the axle tube.

Just out of interest what fluid are you running? I've found that syn fluids, RP in particularly, gets past axle seals much easier than dino.

BTW The odds are that whoever did your gears/locker messed up the axle seal. I would go and see them first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
??? All the fluid can't leak leak out of the axle tube. The bulk of the fluid is below the axle tube.

Just out of interest what fluid are you running? I've found that syn fluids, RP in particularly, gets past axle seals much easier than dino.

BTW The odds are that whoever did your gears/locker messed up the axle seal. I would go and see them first.
Its funny that I had the ARB and R&P installed over a year ao with no problems. I changed the fluid first time since had them done and now have a leak. I did put synt. fluid in it??

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I changed the fluid first time since had them done and now have a leak. I did put synt. fluid in it??
Like I said I've found that syn will find it's way past seals that dino won't. I only run syn in the rear now (which is where it's more effective anyway), and run dino in the front. With syn in the front, I have a small leak on the PS axle seal, with dino I have no leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I said I've found that syn will find it's way past seals that dino won't. I only run syn in the rear now (which is where it's more effective anyway), and run dino in the front. With syn in the front, I have a small leak on the PS axle seal, with dino I have no leak.
I will try and change fluid and see if it makes a difference I am set up to take it in wednesday anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had it fixed axle seals were fine!! Replaced anyway. The mechanic said that there was dirt and debris under the seal thats what was causing the leak. I have never herd of such. Who knows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts