JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to the forums. A friend suggested them to me and I like what I have seen so far. I am a complete newbie to building up so here are my questions:

For tires, I hear a lot about the possibility of breaking the axle when I upgrade tires. I am not a hardcore off-roader but what would be the best tire size to go with so I won't snap my axle?

The things I definitely want to upgrade are the wheels, tires, bumpers and the rims above the tires(Not for sure what they're called). I've also read a lot about people changing their gears and the front axle. I'm assuming the main reason for doing so is just for a stronger axle?

Skid plates.. From what I understand, there are a few areas on the Sahara that weren't covered. Ideas?

Anyway, whatever suggestions for upgrading my Sahara would be much appreciated. Thanks!

· Banned
104 Posts
This forum helped me start and figure out my Rubicon build from stock to what its becoming. AS far as tires done exceed 35" and your axels are fine. For rims its your chice and preference, ( there are more choice for a 17 than 18" though) With the tire getting bigger your gear change will be up around 5.13 with a hypertech programmer to set your shift points, speedometer, and milege. Skid plates dont seem to be a priority if your not gonna wheel. Thats my 2 cents and let the other more knowledgeable people steer you through. Nics choice in vehicles though..What color

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum. 32/33" tires are probably the safest for most axels. But it really only depends on how much "right foot" you choose to use. Go with bumpers for your area. You dont need heavy steel ones if you run in mud or sand etc... Same for tires and wheels. Choose a tire that best compliments the terrain that you will be wheeling in. More detail will be helpfull. The "rims above the tires" I think you mean the fenders? I replaced mine because I have a lift and suspension that caused me to rub them off. If this does not apply to you, keep or modify the stock ones. There are several threads on this site about that. Stronger axels are always a dream to have, but if you don't need them, hold off. I have the stock Dana 44's and I have regeared them and put in stronger shafts, but that is because I wheel alout in the Sierras and I like the idea of getting home.
Hope this helps a little, but go slow on the mods. I have put some on my Jeep that I probably could have skipped. The best way is to wheel, and see where your weakness are and go from there. You could be like some that buy a rig, have it shipped to a mod shop right from the dealer, and have every conceivable mod put on. But where the fun in that if you don't get to learn some of the skill to wheel without them.
Good luck, and I'll look for you on the boards.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Silver with a hardtop. I want to get a softtop sometime but that's far off into the future:)

You mentioned some things about the gears. Does that apply if it's a 6 speed? Mine is a manual.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. 32/33" tires are probably the safest for most axels. But it really only depends on how much "right foot" you choose to use. Go with bumpers for your area. You dont need heavy steel ones if you run in mud or sand etc... Same for tires and wheels. Choose a tire that best compliments the terrain that you will be wheeling in. More detail will be helpfull. The "rims above the tires" I think you mean the fenders? I replaced mine because I have a lift and suspension that caused me to rub them off. If this does not apply to you, keep or modify the stock ones. There are several threads on this site about that. Stronger axels are always a dream to have, but if you don't need them, hold off. I have the stock Dana 44's and I have regeared them and put in stronger shafts, but that is because I wheel alout in the Sierras and I like the idea of getting home.
Hope this helps a little, but go slow on the mods. I have put some on my Jeep that I probably could have skipped. The best way is to wheel, and see where your weakness are and go from there. You could be like some that buy a rig, have it shipped to a mod shop right from the dealer, and have every conceivable mod put on. But where the fun in that if you don't get to learn some of the skill to wheel without them.
Good luck, and I'll look for you on the boards.
Yep yep.. fenders. Couldn't think of the word for the life of me. I had been considering something between 33 and 35. Just wasn't sure how much they affect the axle.

· Premium Member
15,301 Posts
You mentioned some things about the gears. Does that apply if it's a 6 speed? Mine is a manual.
You may be pretty satisfied if wheeling 35's and a 5 speed with 4:88's instead of the 5:13's.

· Premium Member
15,301 Posts
So convert it from a 6 speed to a 5?
I've been inhaling paint and welding fumes all day...sorry...6 speed. I think I am missing my old TJ. My bad.:shaking:

· Premium Member
15,301 Posts
No problem:)

What all goes into making it a 4:88 from the 5:13? I know absolutely nothing about this. Are these the gear ratios?
Yes. You can go up to a (avail for the jk) different ring and pinion like a 4:88 or 5:13 ratio. Most guys running an auto with 35's to 37's are pretty happy with the 5:13's to give them a little better acceleration. A lot of 6 speed guys are happy running a 4:88 with 35's. Not a horsepower upgrade...just better suited gear set to compensate for the larger tires. AS the wheel size increases it takes a different step up in gears to get the rpm's back up, closer to stock feel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.