JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
welp i put my jeep in 4wd tonight, and now my shifter flops from 2wd all the way to 4wd low.:pissed:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Okay, do you want to fix it? Take it for warranty? There are a ton of threads on this.

To get down the road you can get under there and shift it by hand..

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Ah, the memories. Been there done that. Scares the hell outta ya the first time.

You can get it back into 2WD by crawlin under there and movin the lever at your transfer case manually. Careful, it may be hot, and the exhaust next to it will definitely be hot.

Cant remember offhand which direction it moves to get back into 2wd, but if you have someone move it while youre under there and tell you where the shifter is, that will let you know.

Dont worry. Happens alot, so dont worry too much. Fixed mine by using a ziptie to keep the end loop of the cable on there. Been shifting like a champ since November

·
Registered
157 Posts
Cheap plastic transfer linkage piece broke on you, like goody said there are threads on it. Can shift by hand, just be careful you don't burn yourself on the exhaust.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so where on the transfer case would this be located??

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
so where on the transfer case would this be located??
Crawl under on the driver side. The transfer case has a lever on the side of it, which will have a cable next to it that should be disconnected - unless it broke at the shifter - once you figure out whic way to move it for 2wd, just move that lever (the jeep should be off for this part) and it should disengage 4WD.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just to be correct, nothing in my t-case is broken, just the shiftier linkage which is easily repairable under warranty correct?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha thanks for the help guys. It scared the hell out of me when it happened. I wake up early in the morning for work and will put it in 2wd then. I broke in my woods so I didn't have a long limp home.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Have the same problem. Dealer said it is a common problem, they see 3 per week, but they wanted 105 to fix. He advised that the "suspension cannot be loaded when shifting transfer case." He also said that having the brakes applied causes this. Any ideas? sounds kinda bogus to me but does anyone know if the one under the console can be ziptied for quick fix?

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
That thing can be hard to find since its covered by the skid plate. I'm replacing mine in the morning as well. The heat got this last one. Need to look at the advanced adapter piece.

Edit: whoa! $190 for that! I'm doing the rivnut fix. =-O

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I just ordered the AA cable!

That issue nearly stranded me in neutral on a trail not far from home. I got one more pull out of it and it luckily got me into 2wd high. The clip on the t-case gets hot as hell and as it's made of cheap plastic, it softens & either pops off or breaks. A common and effective fix is to get a new bushing, carefully slice off the outer clip part, put it into the cable end and slip them over the t-case shift lever pin. Secure it all in place with a small washer and a tight fitting "E" clip. No more issue at the t-case.

Unfortunately, the one on the lever is going to fail eventually and it is a mo-fo to get to, especially out on a trail somewhere. Mine still has the stock bushing at the lever and shifts really poorly. Every time I have to move the damn lever I cringe. Hopefully the AA setup will end my anxiety attacks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts