JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I went to a dealer today to look for a Cummins ram and saw the JK sitting there and I think I changed my mind. I want to get the manual transmission. I didnt drive it yet just kind of poked around and ask some questions. This will be my first jeep ever BTW and Im not quite sure what to expect. What kind of MPG can I expect with the 3.21 axle ratio vs the 4.10. Thank in advance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey Bonestock... I have mine (2008 2DR Rubicon) a little over a month and love it. 4.10 gears/6 sp manual and back and forth to work, 17-18 MPG. I travel Chippenham Parkway about 10 Miles each way, as I also live in Richmond, VA. Sure did not buy mine for the mileage, as I had previous CJs and wanted another Jeep so the JK was my choice. Which dealer did you see the JK at? Just curious. I only have 2200 miles on it but heading out to PA for the Holidays, first road trip so I'll see what it does on the 600 mile plus round trip. I am pretty much stock for now but then again, a Jeep is always a work in progress. I can tell you one thing, this Jeep is a dream come true for me as I previously owned Jeeps (20 years ago) and I always talked about them (great experiences with a Jeep) so my wife finally twisted my arm to get this one, thank goodness for her or I would still be driving the family 4 door sedan. If you have more questions, let me know. :bounce:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw it down here on Temple ave in Petersburg/Colonial heights area. I am in the Marines and stationed here at Fort Lee. Im looking at the JK now b/c Im tired on my big ass expedition. Great vehicle but I just want something smaller and a manual tranny. I decided since I already own a 89 F250 I have truck to haul stuff in and since I have 3 kids and my wife and a 100 pound lab and a 4 pound cat the JK 4 door would suit my needs. I am getting about 17mpg on the interstate and 12 in city :shaking:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just bought an '08 2 door JK X with the S package (I wanted some conveniences since I traded in a Lincoln LS for it). Mine has the 3.21 ratio and I actually get about 20 mpg this past month (most of my driving to and from work is at about 50+ mph). I'm very happy with it so far but I've got a lot of upgrading planned. First on the list is an Airaid CAI and TBS...

·
Registered
271 Posts
You should also look at Haynes on Broad Street in Richmond. I just searched their inventory (2008 JK 4 DR) and came up with 41 new ones. Might be worth the drive from Ft. Lee to do a test drive as they just gave me the keys and said "take it". I never had that happen before... Hey and by the way, THANKS for serving our Country and happy Holidays to you and yours...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should also look at Haynes on Broad Street in Richmond. I just searched their inventory (2008 JK 4 DR) and came up with 41 new ones. Might be worth the drive from Ft. Lee to do a test drive as they just gave me the keys and said "take it". I never had that happen before... Hey and by the way, THANKS for serving our Country and happy Holidays to you and yours...

I will deff give them a call this dealer told me they were only going to give me 6k for my trade. YEAH right!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bonestock,
get the Jeep you won't regret it. I have an 08 2dr X model 6spd. I get between 21 and 22 mostly highway and using a light foot.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
41 Posts
It looks like we're in similar situations.
I traded my '01 Dodge Ram for an '01 Expedition for my wife and took over her Ford Focus for my then long commute. Now I'm in snow country and the Focus doesn't cut it for daily commute.

So, I traded the '01 Expedition in for an '08 JK Unlimited X, 3.73s, 6 speed and gave the Focus back to my wife:innocent:.

The Expedition got the same mileage as yours.
The JK gets 20-21 mpg and the Focus gets 25-31 mpg!

The downside...my wife missed the Eddie Bauer cushiness and kids could buckle themselves in. I miss being able to slide a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in the back and being able to tow 8,500 lbs.

The upside is that I'm commuting with sooo much more confidence in the snow and ice, can still build it like a Jeep should be, can fit the family in, have a better heater than the CJ... Just remember, even though it's a 4 door and it 5 inches wider than the TJs on the outside, it's not where near as roomy as your Expedition :shaking:. It's not really that much bigger than the Focus in the inside. I'm getting by, however, and I'm 6'4".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like we're in similar situations.
I traded my '01 Dodge Ram for an '01 Expedition for my wife and took over her Ford Focus for my then long commute. Now I'm in snow country and the Focus doesn't cut it for daily commute.

So, I traded the '01 Expedition in for an '08 JK Unlimited X, 3.73s, 6 speed and gave the Focus back to my wife:innocent:.

The Expedition got the same mileage as yours.
The JK gets 20-21 mpg and the Focus gets 25-31 mpg!

The downside...my wife missed the Eddie Bauer cushiness and kids could buckle themselves in. I miss being able to slide a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in the back and being able to tow 8,500 lbs.

The upside is that I'm commuting with sooo much more confidence in the snow and ice, can still build it like a Jeep should be, can fit the family in, have a better heater than the CJ... Just remember, even though it's a 4 door and it 5 inches wider than the TJs on the outside, it's not where near as roomy as your Expedition :shaking:. It's not really that much bigger than the Focus in the inside. I'm getting by, however, and I'm 6'4".
Well atleast I can fit my kids and my dog in. Im happy to hear about the fuel economy you all are getting. Thats nearly twice the city economy and 50% better on the highway. Cant wait!! LOL. Im trying to wait to get a good deal maby I will go look again tomorrow at haynes maby. as for the plywood and towing, I have a 89 F250 with a 8 foot bed and a 300ci inline 6 (love that engine) and a 5 speed. Its simple and effective.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh, two more things to add:
1. The JK fits five people, or 4+1 dog, or 4+1 mother-in-law. That last fact is what sold my wife on getting a JK instead of a LJ...

2. Check with other dealers on the trade in value, and price of JKs. We bought ours on a trip from Colorado to California (visit to mother-in-law). We had offers on our Expedition range from $5,500.00 to just under $10k. What's amazing is the dealers who offered the lowest, also had dealer markups on JKs of up to MSRP + $10k!!!!!

We ended up buying ours from a super honest dealer in St. George, Utah. We stopped on the way down to Cali, and bought on the way back. They put us up in a very nice hotel, bought dinner, and, sold a hard top with wiring kit (delivered to my home two weeks later) for $1500. All of this with NO DEALER MARKUP!

Oh, they do internet sales too...
Happy hunting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts