JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Im Brandon... I just got a JK 4-door Wrangler 2 days ago, brand new. Ill start off with a few things about me...

1. Im a student in Myrtle Beach SC but I live in NJ.

2. This is my first Jeep/truck therefore Im not very familiar with the terminology although I am very excited to learn about this area of automotive enthusia.

3. I am coming from a background strictly revolved around going fast. (2) Twin Turbo 300ZXs) so I know my way around an engine bay a bit and I just cant leave stock alone so Im planning on modding the JK asap, just need a reliable forum.

about the Jeep...

08 Wrangler unlimited 4 dr Red X completely stock from the factory with the hard top and soft top.

any suggestions on initial mods?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you can wade through some of the crap there is a lot of good info. As far as suggestions about some good first mods you will get a wide variety of answers. Try searchin and you will find a bunch of threads.

I recomend making sure you first have good recovery points front and rear. Then some combination of lift and wheels and supporting mods. Consider recovery early though. You can do a lot of mods to get you further into nowhere but without proper recovery gear you may not make it out, at least not with the rig!

Best forst mod though? And I think this is the most overlooked first mod...Driver mod. spend some seat time and learn the tricks, even consider a couple outings with people in your area as a passenger. I know driving is the main fun but you can learn a ton ridin with somebody in the begining.

BTW, I like the Z cars. My car before this was a mitsu evo at about 400 hp @ the wheels

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks... Ill definitly have to spend some pass seat time in a jeep with a driver who knows what they're doing... Nice choice with the Evo btw, not a fan of the inline 4 setup (regardless of make) but if I had the choice to, Id take an Evo over anything else any day. One of my Z's has a bit over 420 at the wheels on stock turbos and the other (16 year old brother's) by the end of the month will be topping 650rwhp(fingers crossed) as a daily driver, but we shall see:wink_animate:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Welcome.

Before you decide on what mods/products you get for your Jeep, do you know what you want to do with it? Alot of off roading, mud'n, crawl'n? Mostly street with minimal off road? Do you have an image of what you want your Jeep to look like and/or be capable of doing?

I'm sure things will change as you get into it, but knowing these will go along way when deciding on what mods to go forth with.

Good luck and enjoy the build.

:beer:

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've got to agree with WTF, recovery points (front and rear) are a must. I've never had to use them, but if you have problems, it's much better to yank on a bumper than an axle.

A lift and tires come next. Remember to check the offset on the wheels before you buy and install tires on them. Many manufactures won't take wheels back after tires are mounted on them.

Since you come from a speed background, remember that speed is typically a bad thing on a trail. More power is fine, but if you start bouncing that's when bad things happen.

Lockers can come whenever you want, but they always help.

Welcome to a new way of thinking about vehicles, and watch out for your pocket book. It can get thin really fast :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've got to agree with WTF, recovery points (front and rear) are a must. I've never had to use them, but if you have problems, it's much better to yank on a bumper than an axle.

A lift and tires come next. Remember to check the offset on the wheels before you buy and install tires on them. Many manufactures won't take wheels back after tires are mounted on them.

Since you come from a speed background, remember that speed is typically a bad thing on a trail. More power is fine, but if you start bouncing that's when bad things happen.

Lockers can come whenever you want, but they always help.

Welcome to a new way of thinking about vehicles, and watch out for your pocket book. It can get thin really fast :D
Welcome, & X2 above

·
Registered
52 Posts
welcome to the site...:bounce:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone... must say, you all are a lot nicer than Z guys haha! anyways, Ill have to look into everythin mentioned, I would prefer to keep the Jeep under its factory warrantee and my dealer will work with me as far as aftermarket parts. what is the overall consesnses on Mopar off-road equipment?

·
Registered
420 Posts
thanks everyone... must say, you all are a lot nicer than Z guys haha! anyways, Ill have to look into everythin mentioned, I would prefer to keep the Jeep under its factory warrantee and my dealer will work with me as far as aftermarket parts. what is the overall consesnses on Mopar off-road equipment?
Mopar lift is a more expensive, rebadged Rubicon Express lift, which, by all accounts seems to be a good, well built/engineered lift.

Mopar off-road bumpers seem well built and are not that expensive.

Mopar front skid plate seems well built and functional (not sure on cost).

Mopar beadlock wheels are rebadged and redesigned Hutchinson Rock Monster wheels - they are very well built/designed but also very expensive (a bit more expensive than non-Mopar Rock Monsters, which themselves are pricey).

In general, Mopar stuff is usually good quality (not always the best) but almost always more expensive than non-Mopar aftermarket alternatives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts