JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a lifelong jeeper driving a FJ but will remedy that situation soon with a JK

Pics of some of my past Jeeps ect.

2005 RubiScrambler

2003 AiRock Rubi

1967 M715 & 1942 MB

·
Registered
900 Posts
The FJ Cruiser I wouldn't trade or sell to someone I know or like ;)

Do have a pair of CJ-6s and YJ at home - not for sale - there all keepers
Well, my JK is in the shop again today for about the 20th time and I've had it. Once I sober up I might rethink, but right now I'm strongly considering a trip to the Toyota dealer. I've owned a lot of Tacos and they are freaking bulletproof.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yeah, I know the FJ has had it's share of issues but it can't possibly be any worse than my JK. And my local Toyota dealer likes me and pretty much takes my word for something being screwed up. The Jeep dealers call me to tell me my Jeep is fixed but when I get there, most of the items have a "cannot duplicate" note next to them. :pissed:

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I might not like my Jeep very much right now, but I like this forum and the Jeep community a lot. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I know the feeling, been there with past jeeps & now with Toyota.

My FJ is the worst 4x4xfar I have owned & I've owned a lot.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Maybe I'll just buy a SmartCar (he crawls slowly from the room, completely defeated). :bawling:

Anybody know if 37s will fit on a Smart without rubbing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I'll just buy a SmartCar (he crawls slowly from the room, completely defeated). :bawling:

Anybody know if 37s will fit on a Smart without rubbing?
What issues are you having w/your JK?

I have these issues w/my FJ Design flaw/frame flex=inner fender failure = welds failing on front clip, waiting for ring & Pinion failure, windshield, paint, interior plastics wear real bad. On my 2nd aftermarket suspension & it has issues.

·
Registered
900 Posts
1) Stall bug. Well documented on this and other sights.

2) Soft top leaks. Bad enough to soak the carpet at times. 3x try to fix, no luck.

3) Interior plastic sucks. Also well documented on this and other forums. We've been very careful with ours and it still looks like s__t.

4) Terrible paint quality. I've got bare spots behind the hinges and on the cowling that are already starting to rust. My hinges are badly rusted and shedding paint.

5) Brake recall. Vehicle decides not to stop when coasting to an uphill stop. exciting!

6) Coolant leaks. Been back several times. Dealer can't find anything but Jeep smells like coolant and I keep having to top up the overflow reservoir.

7) Oilpan gasket leaks. Dealer cleans the affected area, puts it on the lift and runs it for five minutes. When the Tech doesn't come out from under it all covered in oil, they pronounce it good. I do know a leaking gasket when I see it.

8) Secondary hood latch has actually dented the crossmember because the hood lifts so hard in gusty winds while at highway speed.

9) Transmission / torque convertor shudder. Between 1100 and 1550 rpm in top gear, the TC shudders like you are going over rumble strips. Also, when this happens, you can push on the loud pedal all you want and it never downshifts. You must manually downshift. The auto tranny is a POS. It's used in a variety of Chrysler products and if you go to their forums you will see similar complaints.

Long and short.........I could live with all of it except the trans. It makes driving around here an absolute misery. Jeep has a TSB that calls for replacing the TC if these problems are experienced, but I can't get anyone to actually do it. :pissed:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sucks, is very frustrating but is fixable, at least Jeep issues TSBs & recalls.

Toyota will due all it can to avoid a TSB or Recall, only 1 so far and that was for tires. Your at your dealers mercy for all the other well known issues like Ring & Pinions that weren't hardened properly up to Jan 07 build dates, engine pulley's, inner fender failures/got to be a frame design issue - something that there is no fix that works for cost to upgrade & repair is 12k and doesn't work. Ect.

I know there isn't a perfect rig out there & I expect some issues but don't like how Toyota handles things. So hell will freeze over before I buy another Toyota product

·
Registered
900 Posts
I guess I shouldn't be so down on this thing. I actually love the damned Jeep. It's the most fun I've ever had in a four wheeled vehicle. I normally need to be on a motorcycle or flying to be smiling this much. I'm just really, really frustrated. I could take all of the problems if Chrysler had any noticeable customer service. Thing is, I'm pretty sure that I will end up fixing everything on my dime and that just makes me :pissed::pissed: At least the aftermarket support is good and the owner community is fantastic. Like I said before, when I sober up, I'll probably calm down a little and just continue the fight with the dealer network. Good luck with your JK, it's got to be better than mine. Maybe we can find two idiots to buy our current rigs! I'll upgrade to a Rubi and you will be back in the Jeep world. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Rubicon despite some frustrating issues is hands down the best 4x4 out there.

I also miss the top down wheeling the Jeeps, visibility on & off road is horrible in the FJs

·
Registered
900 Posts
I keep repeating to myself over and over, "the top comes down, the doors come off....the top comes down, the doors come off". It makes me feel better. When I drove the FJ, I remember thinking that it was kind of like driving a pillbox or a tank. Little tiny windows to look out of. Guess I wasn't imagining it. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You weren't imagining it - power mirrors & back up camera are not a luxury but required when wheeling a FJ.

Does have a great motor/trans combo & that's partly why I bought it. With a couple mods I'm at 250hp, 300ft#s tq with mid to upper teens for mpg. A shame the rest of it has so many issues

·
Registered
900 Posts
Please ignore previous evenings rant. Being extraordinarily :pissed::pissed::pissed: then compounding it with three or four :beer: is seldom a good idea. I'm better now and have decided to just continue harassing Chrysler until they fix my Jeep. Again, welcome to the forum and please don't take my temporary insanity as being indicative of the good people here. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please ignore previous evenings rant. Being extraordinarily :pissed::pissed::pissed: then compounding it with three or four :beer: is seldom a good idea. I'm better now and have decided to just continue harassing Chrysler until they fix my Jeep. Again, welcome to the forum and please don't take my temporary insanity as being indicative of the good people here. :D
It's all good & I understand all to well.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have a brother that lives in Vegas. I will be out in October maybe we can hook up and do some 4xing. I know October is a ways out but that is what my son wants to do for his 21st B day. So I will be looking for something to ease the stress.:beer::smokin::smokin:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts