JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. Another Newbie. I am new to this sight and new to Jeeps. This is my first jeep, and I really love it. I sold my 1972 Scout for the down payment. I bought the lift kit before I bought the Jeep. Wheels and tires the same day.
Me and my brother put the lift kit on it within twelve hours after I bought it.
I was really suprised how easy it was. More mods to come, just run out of money. Anyways, really like the site and the usefull info. (Oh!!!!Please no Scout bashing, really hated to see it go!!!)

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
But socal has us beat by a mile...(Oh, and Fla...Thanks a lot Dave :bawling:). So welcome from the Austin/ Bastrop area. Big Bend? Long Ranch? Katemcy? Clines? YO Ranch? Boulder Creek?........LET'S WHEEL :beer:

Welcome! :D What area of this little state do you live in?

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
OK...Saw that on your avatar but figured you would get it a little closer to a city that's actually been heard of. Just kidding...lol

Shoot, I live in Bastrop...so that probably isn't any larger!

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
If you never rolled over in it, then consider yourself lucky.

Really awesome though. Wondering if it was really that clean or just filled and painted very well?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The picture does a lot of justice. Paint had a lot of nicks and scratches. Never drove it, not even once without someone telling me how much they liked it. Like I said, hated to see it go. But I really like the Jeep.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK...Saw that on your avatar but figured you would get it a little closer to a city that's actually been heard of. Just kidding...lol

Shoot, I live in Bastrop...so that probably isn't any larger!
Alvarado is about 20 miles south of Ft Worth.

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
Gilmer and Barnwell mtn are pretty close to y'all up there. Those would be great places to break in your JK. As cool as that Scout was, I think you will be a lot happier with the JK in terms of a good on road/ off road vehicle. Handles great, lots of aftmkt support, etc. I would love to have all the toys I had when I was younger, but eventually...practical wins out.

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
As much as I like the Scout 4x4s- This is one of my personal (use it for what it was meant for...) favorites. Ran with these folks out at Katemcy a couple years ago. Not a Ford fanatic, but I love the older Broncos. :smokin:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
wooohooo!!! Look stubby we aren't the only Texans on here anymore! Welcome to the forum man! Where is Alvarado?
Apparently, somewhere between Waco and the stock yards...lol

OK...My best guess is this:

#1 Cali/ so cal
#2 Co
#3 Fla
#4 Ga (or maybe Tx.)

Probably wrong- but from the posts- that seems about right. Also seems like a lot of Canuks here as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As much as I like the Scout 4x4s- This is one of my personal (use it for what it was meant for...) favorites. Ran with these folks out at Katemcy a couple years ago. Not a Ford fanatic, but I love the older Broncos. :smokin:
I have to tell you man, I would have traded that scout for and old rusty bronco, if I could have found one that was at least repairable. I am a very big fan of them. I would have bought one when instead of the scout, but people who are selling them are very proud of them. ** I really thought that everyone would give me a hard time about the scout.Little suprised. Wonder if I would get the same response about the fj cruiser in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
The thing that I have the most difficulty in is taking any brand new or fully restored (frame up) restoration project...and hitting the trails with it. I still cringe when I see show guality rigs doing hardcore stuff. When I was K-rocks once, there was a fully built TJ with tube fenders and it was painted and clear coated with a multi colored flame design. The flames were a wild yellow to orange to red to silver fade. I mean it was killer sick. On the 2nd day he took it on it's side and completely ruined the paint along the entire drive side incl the tube flares. That is where I tend to draw the line between trail or road use. He didn't act like it bothered him much...Maybe he does paint and body work , but I would never have had that out in a place like that. On the flip side, I have had plenty of guys tell me that I'm crazy for abusing my JK the way I do. Hell...thats what I'm happiest doing. As many people that see it on the road and stare, thats not what it's about. They just don't get it. Surprising how many FJ's make quick work of some pretty tough trails, but for true off road capability, I would always take a solid axle to an IFS.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The thing that I have the most difficulty in is taking any brand new or fully restored (frame up) restoration project...and hitting the trails with it. I still cringe when I see show guality rigs doing hardcore stuff. When I was K-rocks once, there was a fully built TJ with tube fenders and it was painted and clear coated with a multi colored flame design. The flames were a wild yellow to orange to red to silver fade. I mean it was killer sick. On the 2nd day he took it on it's side and completely ruined the paint along the entire drive side incl the tube flares. That is where I tend to draw the line between trail or road use. He didn't act like it bothered him much...Maybe he does paint and body work , but I would never have had that out in a place like that. On the flip side, I have had plenty of guys tell me that I'm crazy for abusing my JK the way I do. Hell...thats what I'm happiest doing. As many people that see it on the road and stare, thats not what it's about. They just don't get it. Surprising how many FJ's make quick work of some pretty tough trails, but for true off road capability, I would always take a solid axle to an IFS.

I agree completley. I am already worried about the first scratch on the JK, even though I no it is coming, sooner or later. As far as the fj goes, it is my wifes. She really loves it. I do like some of its features. Love the water risistant interior. I can not stand the carpet in the JK. Seats are water risistant as well. Was looking into the husky mats, but they seem to get some bad reviews. I think the fj has a little more power from stock also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.