JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm Dustin and I live in San Jose. I've owned a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500QC 4wd since it was new and finally took an opportunity to actually use it's 4wd capabilities at Hollister Hills SVRA this weekend.

Some things I noted were that although it's a capable 4wd vehicle, people in Jeeps were having MUCH more fun and able to go quite a few more places I wasn't.

Although I'm sure this has something to do with the skill level of their off roading capabilities, I'm sure it also has to do with their choice of vehicle. Needless to say, I'm now looking into the purchase of a Jeep.

My girlfriend and I really had a blast even just doing the things we could do in my truck, but when we saw the Jeeps crawlin around and havin fun we can't resist. We're still debating building up an old cj5 or buying a completely new Rubicon. we figure either way is prolly gonna cost about the same when we're done.

I'm fairly handy at mechanics and building a cj5 would be fun, but I'd have to do it at a buddy's place as I live in an apartment complex. On the other hand, getting a completely new fresh rig and just upgrading it would also be a blast.

What say you good people of JKOwners? Currently swmbo and I are leaning heavily in the direction of a new Rubicon. Things we're concerned about is the availability of parts (namely, lift kit selections, wheels/tires, front bumpers, winches). Also, things to watch out for when buying a new Rubicon? Right now, our ideal model would be the Rubicon with AT and the navigation system as we would also like to use it for daily driving and camping as well.

Please let me know what you think! All comments welcome :)

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Welcome Dustin,

I think SWMBO will appreciate already having some of the goodies already purchased in the Rubicon. On the other hand if you want to really go big, then get the body and replace everything else. Sorry, I'm not a middle of the road kind. :laughing:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Michael. I think one of the bigger things making us turn towards the Rubicon right now is the fact we don't absolutely need to be the biggest kid on the block. Others have been there and done that. I'd like to get about 33 or 35 inches of tire on there and that would make me happy.

Plus we want to get out and get wheelin asap and building a rig would take quite a bit of time as opposed to getting something ready to roll out of the box. :)

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I would say go with the JK vs. the CJ's. While I love the CJ's (miss my 5 and still want a 7, lol) I really like the fact that this is a new, larger vehicle that you can just drive around without having to carry a tool box "just in case" :laughing:

Anyway, if you are thinking of building it up I would recomend going with a X and dumping the difference between the rubi and an X in to it! Thats what I am doing.

On the other hand, the Rubi is a totaly capable vehicle out the box and I would love having a lifetime warranty on a front/rear d44 and locked vehicle!! That is if you don't void it with upgrades :smokin:

So there you have it, a bunch of words without a single answer. I narrowd it down for you to a CJ or Rubi or X, lolol What was your question? :lol:

·
14ers
479 Posts
Welcome xdhatcherx!

Next week we're taking the Rubi to Hollister Hills for the first time. I had a GIANT Ford Excursion lifted with 36"'s we wheeled all the time. I'll have to give you my opinion of the comparison when we get back. But as for JK vs CJ, I am quite biased toward the JK Rubi. Already done and I don't have alot of time to rebuild anyway. :beer:

·
14ers
479 Posts
Huh. I forgot I was going to say how I felt about the difference. Well, just in case someone is interested... The JK kicks butt in sticky situations. It rides WAAAYYY better in ALL situations. Obviously it is superior in cramped quarters. I don't know how I went without lockers for so long in the X. Man those are nice. Used to just get on the go pedal and bounce through things. Not good because I put the extra heavy duty Fabtech springs and unless I had at least 1000 lbs of gear , it was just a buckboard ride. I'm not so sure I like the 17" rims. I had 16"ers B4 and I dinged the edges at about 20 lbs pressure. Never even came close at 20 lbs on the X, but they were 36" tires. Man, if I could put the motor from the X into the JK...heaven. But then I can't complain about the 3.8 V6. 4LO 2nd gear and it was so easy in almost any situation. My buddy in his Toy Taco 4x4 couldn't keep up. Kept sliding all over the place while I never slipped. Only place I had trouble was the trail that followed the ridge to the top. Very steep with deep gravel and I didn't want to rip through it. Heck! It's still new, you know! Didn't want to bounce off the rock walls. But I sure didn't need to be as ginger with the JK as I used to be with the X. Handled the obsacle course. The washes. The hill climbs.

I Like It A Lot :D:D

·
Registered
792 Posts
lots of choices

Just the interior space is a huge difference if you go with the 4door. That was a deciding factor for me. I've always got extra stuff, people, animals, etc.

If you decide on a JK the market is starting to fill in. There are good 3" lifts available. Long-arms are starting to be available. All around most catagories have good choices. It's really hard to beat rubi off the dealer lot (Dana 44, 4.10 gears, 4.1 tcase+all the fancy upgrades). This also means you will be on the trail day one and it doubles as a great daily driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts