JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I have ever used them but I have them and am wondering about the details of this recall (and TSB?). Did not see anything on this in the TSB section.

What is the remediation procedure? Are the dealers replacing the mirrors or drilling little drain holes in them or something?

thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had it done Monday on my Wife's 2012. The replace the connectors and put water shields on them. We never had a problem but I needed to have the power steering and trans cooler line recall done so they did both. I had my own fix on that since the parts were over a year out. At least it cleared all the recalls. Everyone I know with a 2012 or newer vehicle has endured numerous recalls! The complication of these vehicles continues....

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had it done Monday on my Wife's 2012. The replace the connectors and put water shields on them. We never had a problem but I needed to have the power steering and trans cooler line recall done so they did both. I had my own fix on that since the parts were over a year out. At least it cleared all the recalls. Everyone I know with a 2012 or newer vehicle has endured numerous recalls! The complication of these vehicles continues....

The mirror connector inside the door panel or the one at the kick panel?

Having been a dealership mechanic for years, I'd rather skip them and avoid them introducing even more problems into my jeep.

Sounds like one could potentially cure this with a tube of dielectric grease just as easily and with less effort than required to even communicate with the dealer in the first place..?? This is what I am trying to figure out. I may even just have some pitched into the far corners of my old toolbox from some warranty job I did back in the glorious 1980's.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The mirror connector inside the door panel or the one at the kick panel?

Having been a dealership mechanic for years, I'd rather skip them and avoid them introducing even more problems into my jeep.

Sounds like one could potentially cure this with a tube of dielectric grease just as easily and with less effort than required to even communicate with the dealer in the first place..?? This is what I am trying to figure out. I may even just have some pitched into the far corners of my old toolbox from some warranty job I did back in the glorious 1980's.
They remove the door panel. I'm sure you could figure it out. They had a recall kit for the Tech to install but I didn't see it.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They remove the door panel. I'm sure you could figure it out. They had a recall kit for the Tech to install but I didn't see it.
Thanks for that.

From what you are saying, I can imagine the kit being a boot, zip tie and maybe grease. The pins at the ends of each wire can be released from the connector to allow the connector to be completely removed and a boot to be slide on over the wires and then back down over the connector once the pins are all reinstalled.

I can probably DIY this and avoid the dealer all together.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks for that.

From what you are saying, I can imagine the kit being a boot, zip tie and maybe grease. The pins at the ends of each wire can be released from the connector to allow the connector to be completely removed and a boot to be slide on over the wires and then back down over the connector once the pins are all reinstalled.

I can probably DIY this and avoid the dealer all together.
That would likely take care of the problem. I never had an issue with the mirror as it's pretty dry here usually. I guess there were couple that had a melted harness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts