JKOwners Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I really don't get the Rugged Ridge one - would have to see better pictures, from their small pictures it looks like a windshield sunshade velcro'd to the roof! For the $210 I would spend a little more and get the custom choices of the HotHead Headliner.

But then I'm still happy with my under $20 solution. It has made a big difference in summer/winter. If I traveled more in cold country I'd be insulating the sides too. My desert runs sometime have that fine silt dust that gets everywhere. Not having a cloth headliner has been a good thing because the insulfoam is so easy to wipe off.

If I was acoustic minded, would have to do the doors too.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Don't bother with the radiant barrier paint. I tried that last summer about 3 weeks after i got my jeep and it made no difference. However, the paint is the exact same silver as my jeep so it looks good in there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have no say here of course but personally I usually don't mind the pimping although I believe the Write Up Department is for user install of a vendors product or our own homemade solutions so, again just my personal view, I would prefer the pimping was for other sections.

You are selling to a different market than a do-it-yourself type like me - and I suspect that is true for most people that read this section.

Or to look at it another way - I'm not going to look for your other threads and post my $10 solution and add headliner links for rolling our own for a fraction of your 2007 - 2010 JK 4 Door Kit $269.00 and 2007 - 2010 JK 4 Door Rear Window Panels $130.00 prices.... that would be rude.

I am sure your product is high end for people wanting for a certain "look" and those people are not going to cut foam and spray adhesive anyway (looks like you are using extra wide Velcro stapled and glued which is great - the commonly available more narrow sizes will not work, it comes loose and foam can squeak, that is why I used spray adhesive)

Having done years ago a complete upholstery restoration for my 1958 Thunderbird - it came out very nice but I'll never try that again - most people have no idea how difficult it is (especially without the shop equipment).

So I don't want to bite your head off for offering a completed product for what you see as a fair price.

Or send me your stuff and I'll install it and post here a very detailed install procedure write-up with great pictures - LOL
You sure spent a decent amount of time writing all that over something that don't matter. Who cares if this is a DIY thread? If you're not interested in the product, then don't look at it. It's not like anybody's here selling their homebrew idea, and he's taking money out of their pocket, so what's the big deal? His post took up all of 1" of screen real estate, while your whining about it took up 4 times that much. He's a paid vendor here, so it's not like he's circumventing the pay to play policy either. So what if it's not mentioned in the vendor's area. It's just another option for those that may prefer a more professional look. No harm, no foul.:shaking:

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
plastidip

I am planning on doing my freedom top as well, what about Plasti-dip? Or I also found some neoprene with adhesive backing you can cut to shape. The neoprene is expensive and the paint can add up too. Just wanted to throw that out there for some valued opinions..

http://www.amazon.com/Sponge-Neoprene-With-Adhesive-Thick/dp/B001G8E12S/ref=sr_1_52?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1343309704&sr=1-52&keywords=Neoprene+Adhesive

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
I'm not seeing it with the plastic dip. I used to use that to coat the handles of my tools years ago. I'm not sure how it would work for the top. But you may have an idea I'm not thinking of. I used the thin sun shield and it's held up good for 4 years now. But then so has the white painted top.

Post pictures.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Back in 2015, I visited an upholstery shop and bought materials to make my own headliner panels (see Write-Up area) which worked well, until the adhesive failed on the rear section last summer. As of now, I have only the Freedom Panels' covers remaining. They help with noise and thermal issues. To be honest, mine look less precise than factory-made. So I am considering buying the MOPAR panels and then painting the less-visible area of the top's exterior White.

UPDATE, 7/17/20: I just posted in the Write Ups section about spraying expanding foam into the thick areas of the Freedom Panels. As I said there, I finished with installing the MOPAR 6-piece JKU ceiling panels. That is, I discarded my rather rough-looking homemade panels.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts