JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traced my oil leak to the left head gasket. It's seeping from the rear bolt area. I can't get a socket on it to check for tightness. Would appreciate advice. Does anyone know an estimate to have a repair shop change this gasket? The vehicle has less than 32,000 miles.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Whatever you do I wouldn't walk in the door and necessarily say "replace the head gasket". Because if that isn't the real problem, you'll be SOL on the cost.

Certainly sounds like a new problem that hasn't been covered here before. Pictures?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Someone told me most head gasket leaks involve water not oil. Is that correct? The seepage seems to begin along the gasket area above where the front and center spark plugs are. It travels toward the rear and takes a long and winding path to the pavement. Usually involves one drop of oil per ride dripping on the ground. I'm the second owner and was told no warranty.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
What year model is it? The warranty, regardless of owner, is 3year (from date of delivery)/36k miles.

Anyway, most head gasket leaks are internal. Loss of compression, ingesting coolant, etc. Pictures if you can would help, but web oil leak diag isn't easy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Anyway, most head gasket leaks are internal.
That's not always true. Head gaskets and pop on the outside between the cylinder and the outside of the head.

Are you the original owner? If so you might want to pull out your warranty book at look over the lifetime warranty coverage.

A little cut and paste:

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thank you. Someone told me most head gasket leaks involve water not oil. Is that correct? The seepage seems to begin along the gasket area above where the front and center spark plugs are. It travels toward the rear and takes a long and winding path to the pavement. Usually involves one drop of oil per ride dripping on the ground. I'm the second owner and was told no warranty.
Normally a head gasket leak is with coolant and is evidenced by white smoke from the tail pipe. As said earlier a loss of compression would normally accompany it and drivability suffers. Try to make sure it isn’t leaking from the valve cover and running down on the block? It'll be pretty hard to see it leaking from under the exhaust manifold in the back even from underneath the Jeep but I would suggest spraying it down with a degreaser at the car wash and looking some more. Without a warranty a head gasket will be pretty pricey with the amount of labor involved at any shop so it’s best to do as much research as possible, it could be a simple fix. Are you suffering lower mileage and sputtering? Like Goody said, we cant see it or diagnose it from the screen without some pics and even then it will be hard. Hope that helps.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to all who replied. Short story, mechanic said minor seepage from Rear Main Seal only. Recommended a stop leak product from Lucas due to the low mileage on the engine. Checked with Dealer and told no warranty time left. If you have any further thoughts would appreciate to see them. I'm learning a lot every time I log in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts