JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cant decide which to get? i think i would get more use out of a hd video camera but the go pro is so freakin cool. and with summer here and starting to wake board for the season it would be sweet to get some new perspective shots and video using the gopro on a helmet.

im just worried that most of the use it will get is stuff like that. which is why im looking at a more conventional camera. what do yall think?

heres a camera that im looking at. i know its not the best quality but it gets pretty good reviews and i wont be out too much when i decide to strap it to the hood of the jeep.

http://us.toshiba.com/video-electronics/CAMCORDERS/CAMILEO-H30

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
i bought a small full HD sony camcorder and LOVE it.

we've used nick's gopro a lot and it's nice if you want to mount it on the jeep. honestly, the amount of wasted footage you're going to get is going to fill your memory cards... but they are really cool. if you want to make videos like that then i say go for the gopro and add the screen for the back. they're really cool products.

i had the option and did the traditional camera. it fits in my pocket! it has a 120 gig hard drive and can take like 12 hours of full HD or like 40 hours of non HD lol. way more than the battery lasts... i like being able to zoom and use all the traditional features.

when i record in FULL HD though i only get to burn 45 mins of film onto a 14 gig DVD lol.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I have both...GoPro Hero HD Motorsports and a Sony HandyCam HDR-XR150. I love my GoPro, but you're limited to what you can do with it. I suggest getting an HD Camcorder (www.abesofmaine.com has good Prices), and maybe save up for a Hero through a change jar or some shit like that.

I do have a review of the GoPro in the write up dept if it'll help make your decision any more.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I am looking at getting a video camera and really don't see why the gopro can't be use as a "conventional" vid cam as well?

Sent by carrier pigeon

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am looking at getting a video camera and really don't see why the gopro can't be use as a "conventional" vid cam as well?

Sent by carrier pigeon
It's too small for stable hand-held use, lcd screen sold separately, much poorer image quality compared to an inexpensive HD camcorder. It's really meant as a camera for strapping onto vehicles or helmets, and less as a replacement for an HD camcorder.

It can be used, of course, but you'll get a lot better video and functionality out of a normal handycam. Heck, you might even just get a vDSLR instead. =)

!c

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and if anyone wants to contribute to future videos for the TP my paypal email is [email protected] :laughing::laughing: :beer:

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
My neighbor is into kyak fishing, and he was showing me a video he took on his of a red fish being caught and released! It was awesome. Now I got to get one.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
It's too small for stable hand-held use, lcd screen sold separately, much poorer image quality compared to an inexpensive HD camcorder. It's really meant as a camera for strapping onto vehicles or helmets, and less as a replacement for an HD camcorder.

It can be used, of course, but you'll get a lot better video and functionality out of a normal handycam. Heck, you might even just get a vDSLR instead. =)

!c
well... that settles that!

thanks!! :beer:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I picked up one of those last year... perfect little camera for everyday use. It works remarkably well underwater (used it to film my daughter learning how to swim underwater) and also does a good job in loud environments:
YouTube - ‪Chain Reaction - Live @ The V-Twin Lounge‬‏
-I'm the guy on the right with the pointy guitar :beer:

·
Registered
5,834 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got one of these as a graduation gift.
i will try and take some pics tommoro or the next day. it seems like a good quality camera and very easy to work.

i got white :D
i ended up getting the black one on amazon. ill let yall know how long it holds up to abuse

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got one of these as a graduation gift.
i will try and take some pics tommoro or the next day. it seems like a good quality camera and very easy to work.

i got white :D
and happy birthday bud. hope you get some cool stuff for the jeep

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Let me know how it likes mud... And if it has some way to mount it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts