JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just recently relocated from California to Hawaii and learned that my Jeep will need a recon. Awesome...NOT

It's a 97 Sahara, which is not badly modified. The only two things it has is 32'' tires not sticking out and a 2.5'' lift. The tires rub a little bit if you completely turn the steering wheel. From what I read is that they need an alignment within 30 days of the lift installation and that it has to be within the manufacturer specifications. However, I also heard that bigger tires and the lift make that somewhat hard to fulfill.

Actually I got the lift installed more or less right before I shipped the car over to Hawaii. They also did an alignment and pointed out that not too far in the future I should replace the tie rod ends and balljoints to get the alignment absolutely right. However, they told me that it could a wait a couple more thousand miles.

Moving is expensive, so I put the tie rod ends/balljoints replacement off at that time. Now I am concerned that I will not get the alignment right, not pass the recon, not get the safety check, and not get the Hawaii registration done.

Unfortunately, I am not much of car mechanic and also do not really have the tools to do work by myself. Do you have any suggestions what to do?

I also attach a picture of my Jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh man, it is getting worse. I could really need some advice where I could find a good auto repair for a 97 Wrangler with reliable service. I took the car to the alignment and they said that they cannot do it because the left front wheel seems to be locked up. They say that they are no Wrangler experts and that I should take the car somewhere else.

They also discovered that my brake caliper bolts seem to be stripped. That sounds like a safety issue and I would like to get this repaired as soon as possible. This is getting a big mess right now. Any help/advice on a good repair shop is very much appreciated. Ideally somewhere in the Kaimuki area. The shop said that I can drive the car, but I definitely want to take it easy and not drive across the whole island.

Thanks a lot,
Philip

1 - 2 of 2 Posts