JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not mean in addition to your normal incandecent front markers, I mean AS your front markers/blinkers?

Right now I am getting irritated :laughing: I figured I had a nice set of truck-lite 2 wire amber rounds and was going to replace my fronts. wired them with diodes and all that shit per a "normal" 3 to 2 wire conversion, added a resistor and tested them

and they work PERFECT.......only with the running lights on :laughing:

running lights off the do weird shit, partly light the rear and cause the side markers (also led on the factory 2 wire) to blink :rolleyes:

dammit

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry if this is a stupid question, doc.

Running lights = parking lights or running lights = fog lights?

Sounds like a good idea. I just want to make sure we're on the same page.
the front on the grill turn signal/marker lights :D

ya, I did the diode thing and it needs a resistor (to apply load) but its still all stupid :laughing: I will pull it all and try again tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and you have all the resistors and diodes in the correct order on all four lights?
only the grill lights are set up for blink/running the fender lights are only setup for running and use the factory wires with no nothing. They have been that way for a few years now.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
When I put driving lights in the original grill holes, I put a pair of amber LEDs in the grill below them as turn signals.
If I recall, I didnt do anything weird or difficult - but I honestly dont remember if I wired them as running lights or just blinkers - it was awhile back.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Get a 1K linear potentiometer and hook it between the LED and the parking lamp power wire. Dial-up the pot until you get about 1/2 brightness or whatever you're happy with as a marker brightness.

Take the pot out of the circuit, meter the resistance, and use the closest value standard 10W resister. Then use the diode to feed the turn signal line into the circuit between the LED and the resistor. Like so:

View attachment 56687

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get a 1K linear potentiometer and hook it between the LED and the parking lamp power wire. Dial-up the pot until you get about 1/2 brightness or whatever you're happy with as a marker brightness.

Take the pot out of the circuit, meter the resistance, and use the closest value standard 10W resister. Then use the diode to feed the turn signal line into the circuit between the LED and the resistor. Like so:

View attachment 56687
Thats what I tried earlier and it also worked great when the marker lights were on, but once turned off the blinker did random crap. I may have put a diode in backwards but nothing went pop. I luckily found some 3 wire one before i set it on fire :laughing:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Can you draw a diagram of how you wired one of the LED's in? Did you just split the B+ side of the LED (one for marker and one for turn signal?) If so are you running resistors and diodes on both legs of the split? You don't want anything back feeding back through either wire.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I got it working... I'll look when I get to a real computer on Monday.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Please post a pic of how you guys wired yours. Lol so funny I cut up my grill today cuz I had a set of 2.5" clear LED's from Poison Spyder laying around. I got into the project but it started getting dark out so I ditched until tomorrow morning. I cut out the turn signal buckets so I could silicone the LED's into place. I was just curious how the 3 wires from the factory harness get wired up to the two LED wires. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Driver side has 2 white wires with a green stripe and a black wire. The passenger side has two white wires with an orange stripe and a black wire. Someone please help me recognize which wires go to what. Thanks!

I picked up resisters and diodes from radio shack. Just not sure which wires are parking lights and which is for the turn signals??

In the meantime I set the rubber light grommets in place with a set screw on each side then I used clear silicone around the bezels to affix the grommets in place. So far so good. Gonna look really good once I figure this wiring out. :th_pray:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts