JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a truck and found it at a large car dealership in TX. I can save a few grand if i buy it from them but i am hesitant buying something that large sight unseen.

What say the almighty JKOWNERS BB!!!

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
sold one on there and almost bought a few
thats another place where having friends on an internet board comes in handy, if it's in another state, put the word out to the brotherhood and see if anyone is local and can get eyes on for you.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I found a car on ebay in Dallas at a dealer and set up an appointment. They wanted me to do the buy it now with "no strings attached", but I didn't, knowing that if I didn't want it I would still have to buy it. I ended up buying it, it was a decent car, 96 Z28SS. I miss that car:bawling:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Personally no. I have two friends and a brother-in-law that have purchase cars and motorcycles off of it (a couple each). They recomend someone who has lots of pictures, good descriptions, and is willing to take a downpayment and then cash when you pick it up. One even got his convertable paid in full and had it shipped out sight unseen and got one hell of a deal. None of them have bought from a dealer online though. I know a lot of these E-Bay car ads are from dealers who are trying to move inventory. For the most part they are good vehicles however you might want to look up the dealer and find out how long they have been in buisness. Also as was suggested see if you can get someone local to check out the place if not the vehicle in question. A warning here is unless you know the person personally and how well they look a vehicle over (etc and so forth) take what they tell you with a grain of salt as well.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Personally, I don't trust e-bay for anything

·
Registered
147 Posts
Personally, I don't trust e-bay for anything
I figured that about you. Yes some of the stuff on e-Bay is crap and there are scams just like the guy on the street corner selling $2000 stereos for $100. Heck you can get a pallet of returned merchandise that looks brand new and resell it without knowing if the first thing works if you want. Then there is the legitimate buisness man (or woman) who makes a little extra selling on e-Bay as well as thousands of individuals who sell stuff just like they would at a local auction. I would hazzard a guess that for every scam there are hundreds if not thousands of legit deals.

BTW I took offense to this rather broad statement about not trusting e-Bay because I am one of those legitimate buisnessmen trying to make a little extra cash selling there.

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW I took offense to this rather broad statement about not trusting e-Bay because I am one of those legitimate buisnessmen trying to make a little extra cash selling there.
yea me too, i am starting an internet division here at my office and we use ebay to sell a ton of stuff, but i do agree you always run the risk of running into idiots

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
yea me too, i am starting an internet division here at my office and we use ebay to sell a ton of stuff, but i do agree you always run the risk of running into idiots
Take offense all you want...it was not intended as a personal assault, but with a little peculiar imagination, one could find fault with anything anyone says...bottom line, there is always that "risk", and yes, I find better deals from brick and mortar vendors who also have internet sites, and yes, the "risk" of having to return a faulty product to a shady vendor on e-bay, who will take a year and a day to issue a refund, but not before he takes his percentage for "re-stocking"...better I spend a few bucks more at a established business then piss it away with a business owner wanabee who may or may not have a business license....NOW you can be offended, if that is what makes you whole.;)

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take offense all you want...it was not intended as a personal assault, but with a little peculiar imagination, one could find fault with anything anyone says...bottom line, there is always that "risk", and yes, I find better deals from brick and mortar vendors who also have internet sites, and yes, the "risk" of having to return a faulty product to a shady vendor on e-bay, who will take a year and a day to issue a refund, but not before he takes his percentage for "re-stocking"...better I spend a few bucks more at a established business then piss it away with a business owner wanabee who may or may not have a business license....NOW you can be offended, if that is what makes you whole.;)
So....... your saying you wouldn't buy a car off Ebay?
Glad I am a "brick and mortar" company that has been in business for 30+ years and has supplied damn near every large jobsite in Colorado, and sometimes the world.

By the way what is this "re-stocking" you speak of?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dude my buisness is not Brick and mortar so to speak in that you can't go to a location and shop. I run it out of the house and advertise with the jeep custom work is like that. I sell locally as much and sometimes more as I do online. The problem is neither local nor online sales alone would make it worthwhile. BTW I do have a buisness license and have for a while. My , real name, address, and home phone number is a matter of public record as well. As far as refunds I would never take more than a day (due to e-mail lag) to give a full one out when requested (not that it has EVER happened). I also have gone out of my way to correct any mistakes (which has) without asking the customer to return anything. Funny thing is I can't afford to do people wrong as word of mouth is the best advertising ever. To top off the buisness and my reputation I also work as Santa During the Christmas season. Everyday I put my personal reputation as well as buisness reputation up for anyone and everyone to see and evaluate. Keep in mind while the rest of you can have a few beers, whoop it up, and carry on I have to watch what I do year round. My info is on my jeep and I look like Santa for a good part of the year so I have to watch what I do and where I do it in order to keep my reputation intact.

Your problem is you make broad range statements and lump everyone who sells on e-Bay into the same box as those who cheat people. As someone who is not a cheat and sells on e-Bay I found it insulting. Then agian I forget your goal in life is to insult at least one (if not several) people a day so I should have just let it pass.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
OnlyInMyJeep;30831Then agian I forget your goal in life is to insult at least one (if not several) people a day so I should have just let it pass.[/QUOTE said:
Dude.....it's you who has made it personal and it is you who took offense when no offense was intended nor directed at anyone by my original post, but since you wish to carry it this far, consider yourself re-offended.:shaking:

·
Registered
712 Posts
it is at a place called Texas Direct Auto, they are in Houston Tx. anyone ever heard of them?

I haven't heard of them, but I think there are like, 10,000 auto dealers here.

I see their website, they're about 30 minutes from me, and they show by appt. only. If you want to setup an appointment tomorrow between 10am and 5pm, I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Mind you, I am no mechanic. You tell me what things you want me to look out for, and what things you want to know about, and I'll report it back to you.

!c

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am working on financing right now, as soon as it is done i will let you know, they have not had any bids on it so hopefully it is still around, i sure appreciate the offer i will be in contact.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts