JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Moving the aux power fuse in the fuse box under the hood will change the power outlet from being switched to being on all the time. Move the fuse over and done.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moving the aux power fuse in the fuse box under the hood will change the power outlet from being switched to being on all the time. Move the fuse over and done.
Can you explain a little more? Take the fuse out and put it where? How would that make it have residual power?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand now what you mean.
Incase anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future,
The fuse (m7) for the center console aux port can be switched from "always on" to being powered with the ignition. there are 3 slows the fuse fits into and you can move it between them.

Its not exactly what I'd want since I want the front aux outlet to be "always on" but I can make this work.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you want the dashcam always on, then just tap into the power lead to the aux outlet in the center console.

I did that to the cigarette outlet to get switched power for the reversing cam display that I use instead of a mirror now. (It blocks less of the view through the windscreen.) No messing around with fuses required.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want the dashcam always on, then just tap into the power lead to the aux outlet in the center console.

I did that to the cigarette outlet to get switched power for the reversing cam display that I use instead of a mirror now. (It blocks less of the view through the windscreen.) No messing around with fuses required.
Taping into a wire is more of a pain than just switching a fuse over. IMO but yes now that I know that it has residual power I can do that.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My '08 has both a cigarette lighter socket that is switched and a power outlet socket that is permanently on. Do later models finally dispense with the lighter socket & just allow you to set the power outlet either way?

I tapped the wire because I was running the lead to the display inside the panels & didn't want the socket used by it. & a wire across the dash. I also use that tap for the switched power to the electric trailer brake controller...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My '08 has both a cigarette lighter socket that is switched and a power outlet socket that is permanently on. Do later models finally dispense with the lighter socket & just allow you to set the power outlet either way?

I tapped the wire because I was running the lead to the display inside the panels & didn't want the socket used by it. & a wire across the dash. I also use that tap for the switched power to the electric trailer brake controller...
my 2012 Has an outlet on the center console (by the ac controls, the old ones had two here, mine only has the right one and on the left is where the power mirror control is)
That outlet is always switch power.

theres an outlet in the center armrest , that is the one you can switch, then theres one in the tailgate area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts