JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '15 2dr JK with the hardtop. Just wondering if anyone knew the approximate weight of the back half of the top. Trying to decide if I should attempt to remove it by myself. Thanks!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
100 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tenderfoot752

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
LMGTFY
I have, you probably should not, if you don't balance it correctly it could fall, possibly scratching the shit out of plasti-dipped wheels.
-douchey response because I ate too much and my tummy is sore.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used heavy duty eyelet screws and ratchet straps in my garage to pull mine off. It was not super heavy but very awkward and would be difficult to move alone. The real question though is not if you will get it off alone but how do you plan on getting back on. I would say that would be much more difficult.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
I used heavy duty eyelet screws and ratchet straps in my garage to pull mine off. It was not super heavy but very awkward and would be difficult to move alone. The real question though is not if you will get it off alone but how do you plan on getting back on. I would say that would be much more difficult.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
what an excellent idea.:surprise: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/attachments/jk-general-discussion/7234d1239999023-door-storage-2008_0605doorhangars0006.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LMGTFY
I have, you probably should not, if you don't balance it correctly it could fall, possibly scratching the shit out of plasti-dipped wheels.
-douchey response because I ate too much and my tummy is sore.
Nice response, Coilrod.....thought we'd gotten past the whole "plasti-dip" thing......

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Seriously, I considered not being so douchey, but....
The top is definately one man liftable, but it is heavy enough to be awkward and the rear quarter steel is paper thin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been taking mine off and putting it on by myself for 5 years now. It's awkward and heavy and dangerous. And frankly a little stupid. Definitely had some oh crap moments, and one day when I do drop it I'll viciously curse my poor decision making. But yeah it's possible.

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
you newer dudes be careful "Liking" this kinda advice from Mr. RubiC ;
what you can't see is all the other parts of the JKU in the picture have rolled-out the garage ,off the end of the driveway and down a 100' ravine...( I could not resist, friend)

Don't attempt to remove by your lonesome or you'll smash the rear glass.

In seriousness, some of these guys must have Herculean strength and Bruce Lee balance and coordination if they are taking off themselves.; I am strong and stubborn and can't get the thing securely enough to get it off my JKU so I just leave it wrapped like a burrito in the garage for, oh....5 years and it is all good. The darn things are too off kilter/wonkey balanced to carry by oneself unless you are like the lou farrigno strength dude in that video.

The Freedom Top is one of Jeep's most ironically named pieces of hardware, imho ; that thing had become the albatross around this ancient mariner's neck long ago. It brings the opposite of Freedom to my mind. It is more of a Prisoners-Ankle Ball Top .
I have a great cond one still for sale I cannot seem to get rid of,even for a grand.

( and ,honestly, @RubiCajun has the optimal setup for removal and storage goin-on in that image. )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pvanweelewn:

Makes it look easy, for a guy that's 6'6" and can bench press a bull. Nice job though, never thought about taking it off that way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pvanweelewn:

Makes it look easy, for a guy that's 6'6" and can bench press a bull. Nice job though, never thought about taking it off that way.
This is essentially what I do. Though usually I get both hands underneath and find the balance point. Mine is a 2 door though so I don't have all that awkward length. Again, it's horrifying every time and I would never recommend doing it solo to anyone. I just never seem to have help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used to take the tops off my old Blazers solo.

Ive taken the top off my JK twice and back on once, got help putting back on last time. Wont be doing it solo again.

Im trying to get pricing for a carport so I can hoist it off and store in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts