JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening from the East Coast,

Forgive me, this is my first time posting in these forums. If I'm posting in the wrong place, or there is already a thread for this topic, feel free to redirect me.

Here goes: let's start with, I'm incredibly frustrated. I purchased a used jeep from a "non-Chrysler" dealership. It came with a hard top, but I also noticed there was a soft top folded up in the back. The salesmen had no idea if it had all of the parts for soft top installation, again, this is a dealership that specializes in another brand of vehicle.

My thought? Go for it! Soft top parts can't be that expensive or confusing. Plus, the most expensive parts (my assumption) (the framework/main overhead top) is already included. I can make it work.

Well, now that the weather is nice, I would like to get this soft top up and running. It came to my attention that the vehicle didn't come with windows. No worries, figured that out and they just arrived this afternoon. But, after doing more research, I'm thinking I need to buy more items to get this top up and running.

For example, I think I'm lacking the "door surrounds" among other things. I've tried to find videos, and other information of specific kits that you can convert hard top only jeeps to soft top/hard top types.

So, after this long, drawn out post. Essentially I'm trying to find any information regarding these issues. I've looked over the schematics with all the parts involved. I'm more or less looking for any help/information regarding some sort of all around kit that involves door surrounds, a tail gate bar, among various other items. I'm struggling to find a primarily hard top jeep to soft top conversion type of kit. But I already have the main bar and top setup.

I apologize if this is confusing. I can provide photos of what I'm working with if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Your best bet would be to go to a Jeep dealer and tell the parts guy what you're looking for and let him check out what parts you have so he can better tell you what you need. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive converted from hard to top on my 2 door, the only thing i had to change was add two brackets on the roll bar behind the front seats. I bought my top used it had the door surrounds and tailgate bar thats all i needed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
a few things you can do.

search craigslist for a ratty top but all the hardware intact

go to dealership and find out what parts you have and what is needed, this might become expensive

third go buy yourself and aftermarket top (besttop is top quality) and sell what remains you have from an oem top. lots of guys have the hardware and need a new top, might be easy to sell and recoup some of your aftermarket purchase.

·
Research, bro!
2,219 Posts
As a starting point to find what's missing, here's a link to the 4-door install instructions. You can similarly google for a 2-door if that's what you have. Compare the instructions to what you have and then go to a dealer or online to get part #'s for what you are missing.

http://moparonlineparts.com/docs/82213652.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts