JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some guidance. I have a three car garage that sits beneath a false roof on a two story house in California. I attempted to track the joists, even through some goofy steel mesh garbage (after drywall). After marking the locations of the framework, I have a common beam at the back of the garage to tie into, but from that forward its a labyrinth of crap. It only becomes predictable close to the garage door opener motor that is mid way down the ceiling. This dilemma makes a hard top 4pt cheapy hoist almost impossible, as the distance between eye hooks is too far. Wall studs are perfect and predictable.

Anyone else run into this? I'm almost ready to drop 5 bills on that quadratec wheeled doohickey, but wanted advice first.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Of your ceiling is high enough then just build a stand alone frame with 4x4s and 2x6's so support your hoist

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Go get you a length of barn door track and the wheels that go with it and bolt it to the ceiling. Get and electric hoist attach to barn door wheels and insert into the he track. It's what I use.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ceiling is around 11 foot. I thought about wood framing, never imagined the barn track idea..

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have been using it for a couple years works well. I just arranged the track to where I could slide the top off to a corner while hanging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts