JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there any technical differences in the hard tops produced between 07-09 and 2010. There is someone in our club looking to outfit a 2010 with a hardtop but there is some question to compatibility of older JK hardtops. Can anyone confirm or deny this question of compatibility. If there is an issue, what are they?

never mind, 07-08 freedom panels work together, but in 09 the windshield loop was offset to the left apparently. So, apparently an 09 hardtop with panels will work with 2010 only. I have no idea about the 2011 panels.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
yup the older hard tops will fit just fine.. the 07 - 08 hardtops dont use a center latch above the rear view mirror.. but other than that no issues at all.. i put a 08 top on a 2011 worked perfet :beer:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I know the 07 won't work on the 10... that's it

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I know the 07 won't work on the 10... that's it
yes it will.. why not ? only difference is the older hardtops dont use the center footmans loop above the mirror.. but it still works.. no problem... the 09 - 11 hardtops added a latch in the center to try and help stop leaks.. but 07-08 top still fit newer jeeps .

·
Registered
30 Posts
yes it will.. why not ? only difference is the older hardtops dont use the center footmans loop above the mirror.. but it still works.. no problem... the 09 - 11 hardtops added a latch in the center to try and help stop leaks.. but 07-08 top still fit newer jeeps .
is this thsame with the soft top do the older ones fit the2010?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
is this thsame with the soft top do the older ones fit the2010?
I'm pretty sure any JK soft top will fit any JK, as long as the year model the door surrounds are matches the year the actual top is.

as for the hard tops-the older hard tops do not use the center footmans loop that is in the newer jks. not sure on the specific years but an 07 hard top should fit any JK.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Yes... I am corrected... They should work...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Digging deep here found an old thead.

Ok so most of my question has been answered above. Other Question is.. Are there differences in the windows on a hard top from a 2009 and 2012? I ask because I have a 2012 and am looking at a hardtop from a 2009.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
newer ones have a larger rear window. I think, at least my 13 looks wider than my 10 did.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Digging deep here found an old thead.

Ok so most of my question has been answered above. Other Question is.. Are there differences in the windows on a hard top from a 2009 and 2012? I ask because I have a 2012 and am looking at a hardtop from a 2009.
The rear window is wider on the newer models, but the top will fit the same.

As stated above, the older models don't have the center footmans loop, but the tops will still work between years.

The only other difference to note is that the newer models (11+) have additional body alignment pins in the rear of the hard top that need to be removed to fit on older JKs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run an 11 top on my 09. I had to take out one set of guide pins that line up the rear deck before you bolt it down. Other than that...it fit just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
^^ THIS^^

I'm running a '12 hard top on my '07 JKU with no issues. I also removed the rear deck guide pins and it works great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Never-used top for $800? That's a good deal.

However, keep in mind that in order for you to be able to use the rear wiper, washer, and defroster, you'll need to install the wiring kit...just search around...it's not hard to find.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead as I just installed a 2011 hard top onto my 2008 JKUR. I chose to just drill 2 new holes into my tub for the rear alignment pins, other than that everything fit fine. My Jeep was originally a hard top model (previous owner kept it for his new one when he sold me the Jeep) so I already had the wiring harness.

I have the center footman loop above my rear view mirror but the latch on the top doesn't reach it. Is there something else I'm missing to allow it to work? Does it really matter? I'm also missing the screw knobs that go in through the sound bar (person I got the top front had lost all the hardware), is that going to be a major issue? I took it through the car wash test and had no leaks, I'm just hesitant to take it down the interstate without those screw knobs. I'd hate to have one of the targa tops fly off.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think the "screw knobs" are just belt-and-suspenders. If the Freedom Panels are latched down otherwise, they should be secure.
I kind of thought as much, but went ahead and ordered some off ebay for 22$ shipped.

For the rear I just used some nuts and bolts I had in the garage. I also had a pair of metric bolts that came off one of my old XJ's that was the correct size/thread to work for where the hard top bolts to the b-pillars. I might eventually get the clip on nuts and some quick knobs for the rear but I think it'll be fine for now.

As for the front latch on the Targa tops it looks like my center footman loop is centered and as such the latch on the hard top won't reach it. I take it that means on the newer JK's the footman loop was offset to match up with that latch? Is it anything to concern myself with?

·
Registered
392 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts