JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know they aren't the greatest and most prefer the older military style trailers. but just curious if anyone has gotten one of the harbor freight trailers and modified it some to suit their needs. they got a 49x96 with 12" tires for $390 that supports 1720 lbs. i don't know much about trailers or if it would even be worht getting one of these and modifing it. i was thinking mostly long distance road trips. anyway so has anyone done this, or is this a good starting point. i like the weight on it cause it's lighter than alot of the military style so it would be a little better MPG, but at the same time not as strong or off road worthy. what do ya think?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I have one
hard to beat for the $$
the tilt deck feature is nice
just plan on adding a good sheet of 3/4" plywood to it, not only for a deck but for strength
in my opinion, it needs the strength more than the ability to fold in half for storage.
I also added a tongue jack and threw together some side rails out of scrap lumber
originally bought mine for hauling motorcycles but its done everything from helping people move to hauling giant giraffe heads

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey hows it going? any chance when i get home from the sandbox, you be interested in some free food and beer in exchange for some assistance in adding some goodies on the jeep. if all goes well i'll have a few goodies to add when i get home.

and thanks for the info about the trailer

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
...to hauling giant giraffe heads
Ok I know about the horse head in the bed but damn, when you got to make a statement, nothing say's, "You're Dead" like a giant giraffe head in the bed. :laughing:

:D:beer::beer::D

What's you're real job Venom?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey liquor, how's it going? not sure if you remember me, but we meet at the deid when you flew out, i work at the pax terminal. You still downrange? need anything?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
hey hows it going? any chance when i get home from the sandbox, you be interested in some free food and beer in exchange for some assistance in adding some goodies on the jeep. if all goes well i'll have a few goodies to add when i get home.

and thanks for the info about the trailer
sure man, no problem, whatcha lookin to do?

Ok I know about the horse head in the bed but damn, when you got to make a statement, nothing say's, "You're Dead" like a giant giraffe head in the bed. :laughing:

:D:beer::beer::D

What's you're real job Venom?
been a herpetologist for about 20 years now, also zoo supervisor
never know quite what the day is gonna bring in that field

that particular bit of weirdness was from a local toys r us closing down, they donated the geoffrey giraffe gead to the zoo and I ended up with it somehow

the jeep was just a baby then!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm thinking maybe a bumper with springs and shocks, and some tires

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
while i'm thinking of it, if i just get 3.5 springs and the right size shocks, do i need any other pieces, or will that work and upgrade the control arms and other parts at a later date.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
while i'm thinking of it, if i just get 3.5 springs and the right size shocks, do i need any other pieces, or will that work and upgrade the control arms and other parts at a later date.
gonna have to do something about sway bar links for sure and bump stops if you're gonna add bigger tires, brake lines should be ok if we make drop brackets for the rear, and it might drive like crap till you do something about the track bars - either adjustable bars, axle or frame side brackets or something

also instead of doing adjustable arms, you might be able to get away with just a set of aev arm drop brackets.
theyre a lot cheaper than arms (~$100) and help out a LOT

I have a set of poly performance 3.5" springs laying out in the shop chris was going to put on his jeep, but hes talking about going aev system now so they might be available if you're interested I'll check with him

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info, i'll check out and see what i can come up with. i think the poly springs would be good, and the 3.5s are what i was looking at

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
hey liquor, how's it going? not sure if you remember me, but we meet at the deid when you flew out, i work at the pax terminal. You still downrange? need anything?
Hey man, what's up?! I'm good up here. That dirty filthy camel I picked up there (Mr. Deids) has his own FB page. Keeps the folks at home laughing. :laughing:

I'll be back in a couple more months. I'll look you up. a couple of MilitaryJeepers.com guys are there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good stuff, maybe we can hit the bra up for some drinks and a pizza

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had one flip over on me on the interstate in South Dakota. It was loaded with my washer and dryer. the concrete section joints of the highway caused the trailer to start bouncing upand down. the trailer suspension was stiff so when the harmonics were right the trailer started bouncing side to side until it flipped. The little tounge that holds underneath the hitch ball sheared off and the trailer landed upside down. The trailer was eventually sold, fixed and returned to non freeway service..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had one flip over on me on the interstate in South Dakota. It was loaded with my washer and dryer. the concrete section joints of the highway caused the trailer to start bouncing upand down. the trailer suspension was stiff so when the harmonics were right the trailer started bouncing side to side until it flipped. The little tounge that holds underneath the hitch ball sheared off and the trailer landed upside down. The trailer was eventually sold, fixed and returned to non freeway service..

THAT SUCKS

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
checked with chris, he's gonna get shorter poly springs for his rubi because the 3.5" poly springs for a 4 door are 4.5" for his 2 door
so if you want these you can have the full set for $200 and I'll give you a hand on the install

they were on my Jeep for ~5-7K miles then I went to 4.5" springs

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah that sounds pretty good to me, i'll let ya know when it comes closer to me heading home and getting the rest of my parts and we can try to figure something out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts