JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Ha, pretty thorough chart.

I do tend to find that I scrutinize their motorized tools a bit harder than their other tools, while this chart seems to make it seem like their motorized tools are something you should more likely consider. Just seems like there is too much to go wrong with an electric/power tool vs. something simple.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know...they seem to follow it up pretty well with some qualifying questions.
I tried, but I found it hard to find fault with the chart, tho' the flow may not seem right at times. When trying to proof it, I had to go back to previous qualifiers like, was it less than $20.
Anyway, I just thought I'd throw it up here.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I honestly though tit was a joke, then when I read it, it is real. Then I kinda though to myself that it was sorta what I have done all along but not for the price reasons. When I would work on cars at my mothers if I needed something Harbour Freight was closer then Sears but I had to debate if it was worth the extra drive if I really needed a better quality tool. Most of the time it was because I had forgotten what I need at home anyways.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Sadly... most the Craftsman tools now-days are crap compared to what they used to be.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Sadly... most the Craftsman tools now-days are crap compared to what they used to be.
Yeah, made in China now instead of USA (not necessarily indicative of poor quality, but it shows they are cutting costs), the warranty has been scaled back, and many of the tools look and feel cheaper.

I was in a Sears Hardware recently and the tool section was pathetic compared to years past. It was barely a ghost of what it once was. They had very few specialty tools, no individual tools (like individual wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets, etc.) and very few worthwhile sets. Many of the newer tools they had seemed like gimmicky crap, not professional stuff.

If the pricing had followed the quality down it wouldn't be as bad, but they seem to still be priced at a semi-professional level (not Snap-On, Matco, etc. level, but higher than Husky, Kobalt, etc.).

·
Vendor
2,502 Posts
Same here a lot of my tools are HF but I am not a mechanic just garage warrior and 95 percent of the time the tools treat me well, if it is something that will get heavy use like a drill then I'll get the expensive stuff unless they are sockets and etc, if it something that will see use here and there like my drill press I buy HF

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, entry level Craftsman power tool...a disappointment these days. Coulda been just a roll of the dice but I wanted a palm sander to do the plywood walls of a 7x14 cargo trailer prior to paint. Went to Sears, bought a <$30 sander. It failed before I finished one wall. Took it back and got the next step up. Still have, still works. That was ten years ago. Twenty years ago, an entry level power tool would still work.

Went to a big box store for an electric leaf blower, bought some $80-ish job. Half hour into its first use, the thing started spittin' sparks out the cooling vents. Took it back, bought a Husqvarna gas powered.

Wanted a chainsaw (no man's garage is complete w/o one. :)) and went straight to Stihl.

Needed an angle grinder to remove/relocate the brake booster bracket between the frame rails. Went to TSC and immediately looked for better than shit-grade. Got a Kawasaki variable, worked fine, still does.

Jackstands...HF was adequate but, even tho' they are rated for it, I wouldn't put 'em under my dually.

Bought a fairly comprehensive entry level Craftsman tool kit w/box in the early '90s, $300. Still have it, now relegated to shit jobs, vehicle carry, etc. Most everything in the "shop" now is SnapOn, Mac, Starrett, etc.

Motorcycle lift, didn't fuck around at all...went straight to Handy. Can you imagine the grief of tossing your bike on the floor just to save $500? I consider good tools a one-time insurance premium.

If I ever get a vehicle lift, BendPak, et al.

·
Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
Can you imagine the grief of tossing your bike on the floor just to save $500? I consider good tools a one-time insurance premium.
It took several years of my wife (she corrected me - Aircraft Mechanic, USN Ret.) to beat that mindset into me me. Now when I reach into my tool box, it's Snap-On. When I need power equipment, I reach for STIHL and when I need to work the dirt, I hop on my Kubota. When I need to tow it all home, I pull it with my Ford. I try to make it a point to buy high quality tools and equipment. Cutting corners and buying cheap Chinese junk hurts American families and contributes to our ever growing disposable product society.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Yeah, entry level Craftsman power tool...a disappointment these days. Coulda been just a roll of the dice but I wanted a palm sander to do the plywood walls of a 7x14 cargo trailer prior to paint. Went to Sears, bought a <$30 sander. It failed before I finished one wall. Took it back and got the next step up. Still have, still works. That was ten years ago. Twenty years ago, an entry level power tool would still work.

Went to a big box store for an electric leaf blower, bought some $80-ish job. Half hour into its first use, the thing started spittin' sparks out the cooling vents. Took it back, bought a Husqvarna gas powered.

Wanted a chainsaw (no man's garage is complete w/o one. :)) and went straight to Stihl.

Needed an angle grinder to remove/relocate the brake booster bracket between the frame rails. Went to TSC and immediately looked for better than shit-grade. Got a Kawasaki variable, worked fine, still does.

Jackstands...HF was adequate but, even tho' they are rated for it, I wouldn't put 'em under my dually.

Bought a fairly comprehensive entry level Craftsman tool kit w/box in the early '90s, $300. Still have it, now relegated to shit jobs, vehicle carry, etc. Most everything in the "shop" now is SnapOn, Mac, Starrett, etc.

Motorcycle lift, didn't fuck around at all...went straight to Handy. Can you imagine the grief of tossing your bike on the floor just to save $500? I consider good tools a one-time insurance premium.

It took several years of my wife (she corrected me - Aircraft Mechanic, USN Ret.) to beat that mindset into me me. Now when I reach into my tool box, it's Snap-On. When I need power equipment, I reach for STIHL and when I need to work the dirt, I hop on my Kubota. When I need to tow it all home, I pull it with my Ford. I try to make it a point to buy high quality tools and equipment. Cutting corners and buying cheap Chinese junk hurts American families and contributes to our ever growing disposable product society.
I agree with you guys 100%. My dad taught me a long time ago, buy the best quality and your never sorry.

Funfred's flow chart is accurate. If your spending more than $20 bucks, you shouldn't be in a Harbor Freight store anymore.

I've noticed even DeWalt grinders have been getting shittier over the past few years. I've started buying Matabo. Great stuff.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A lot has changed since then.
Yeah, Harbor Freight hand tools, at least, have improved in quality since then. I broke a 1/4" Craftsman ratchet and the sh*tf**kers at Sears wouldn't replace it because I didn't have the receipt (who keeps the receipt for an eight year old ratchet?!). I bought a 1/4" ratchet at Harbor Freight (this is for my Jeep go-box, not for my big box in the garage). It was higher-quality than the Craftsman in every way -- better fit and finish, better quality metal, the works.

Would I buy Harbor Freight for professional use? Probably not. But they're no longer worse than Craftsman. Which says as much about Craftsman as it says about Harbor Freight, maybe, but ....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I jave been using harbor freight 1/2 inch impact sockets for almost 8 years now and the only downside is that they are thicker than a truck brand. Never had one fail me yet. I work mostly on mining equipment so i get a lot of rusted on neglected crap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I tried, but I found it hard to find fault with the chart, tho' the flow may not seem right at times. When trying to proof it, I had to go back to previous qualifiers like, was it less than $20.
Anyway, I just thought I'd throw it up here.
Fun chart!
I fall into the category of wanting the right tool for the job but not wanting (or being able to) buy 'good' tools for every job. I used to buy Craftsmen & still have lots of hand-tools of theirs but these days, it seems to be HF or Pro-brands; even the 'better' names at Lowes & Home Depot seem to not be made much better than what HF has, at least for hand tools.
So, I'd rather buy 4 different tools from HF for specific tasks than try to make one 'good' tool do 4 different jobs. If I was more than a weekend warrior, I'd see things differently. For my work, I buy close to the best tools but for occasional use, I can't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.