JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
781 Posts
Mine is the 4X4 kit.

I never seem to have the right cup for pressing the upper bj in.

I bent the c-clamp in the kit out of my own stupidity....trying to press the lower bj out and was just pressing it in more....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,931 Posts
Used the 4wd tool/spacers and got it done-made a special spacer w an angle to it to get the upper in on one side after doing the other side w what came w it. U can use washers or a castle nut too but they are a pita...:beer:

Is this thing on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is the 4X4 kit.

I never seem to have the right cup for pressing the upper bj in.

I bent the c-clamp in the kit out of my own stupidity....trying to press the lower bj out and was just pressing it in more....
I remember the cup issue on the upper, but couldn't remember what would have fixed the issue.

I've read people tearing them up, I've also read that using an impact on them seems to work best. Keep things moving without crazy torque being applied to the tool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used the 4wd tool/spacers and got it done-made a special spacer w an angle to it to get the upper in on one side after doing the other side w what came w it. U can use washers or a castle nut too but they are a pita...:beer:

Is this thing on?

Any pics?
 

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
Spray WD-40 or better white lithium grease on the screw before you start. I think my kit now has done about 8 sets total and still going strong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spray WD-40 or better white lithium grease on the screw before you start. I think my kit now has done about 8 sets total and still going strong.

I usually anti-seize every threaded tool I have. A little lube goes a long way! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,065 Posts
Doc' s videos give step by step instructions including the spacer. I linked them for somebody on the club forum. I'll look later if you haven't got all the answers you need and post the links back here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,738 Posts
I have the first set you linked and this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-piece-master-ball-joint-adapter-set-66958.html

With these, I have everything I need to get the job done. I've done my JKs a few times and a handful of other JKs along with quite a few TJs as well. With the adapter kit you'll never be without a spacer you need and it makes the job much simpler.

I also agree on the antiseize. I put a shit ton on my ball joints when installing new ones. They slide in much easier during install, and when they need replaced it's much simpler too. For reference, I did a Poly install in a JK without antiseize (or any lube for that matter) once and those bastards were almost harder to press in than the rusty ones were coming out. They must be slightly over sized compared to the stockers. However, with antiseize on them, they press in very nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the pic, is that 1-1/4" ID or OD pipe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the rust and grime purely optional, or is it the key to the success of this specially fabricated tool? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,139 Posts
I bought the 4x4 kit and it worked but was a PITA... even after the Doc-ucation video.

The fabbed spacer would make the job much easier, that part - getting the space right with the shit supplied in the kit -sucked bawlz (my first try, middle of summer, in the garage... added to the overall experience). For sure doable... especially with your background.

I am going to fab up a spacer for the next time I need it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,696 Posts
We use Jim's (Uncle Sams Misguided Child) set for all our change outs here. We have done a lot of mods to the kit and added various spacers of 1" pipe cut to 1" lengths (we have extras in the box in case they bend or break) and we have ground down the smaller tube adapter for the upper installation so it sits more squarely on the underside of the upper knuckle while pressing in the upper BJ.

We also welded a large dia washer on top of one of the caps to keep the clamp from slipping off too during reinstallation. This really helps a lot especially if your clamp wants to keep sliding off!

We also have a few standard 1/2" washers to use on the lower BJ removal.

We start out by cleaning the mounting holes with emery cloth or a dremel tool then grease the new BJ's well before putting them in. We then use an impact wrench to make the job way easier and faster.

With JKennedy's help, we have ball joint R&R's down to a stressless 1hr job.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top