JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a dedicated GPS unit for trail riding as well as camping/hiking. I have done quite a bit of reading on dedicated vs phone but thought I would get some opinions from people that own and use them. I live in Southwest Montana, have a ton of trails that I want to get onto...

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I use a Garmin Montana in the jk and when I hike. 1:24,000 Topo maps are available for your geographic region. Keep it on for about 8-9 hrs on it's rechargeable battery, run off aaa batteries, or buy an after market solar panel. Rarely lost gps signal...but you can buy an external attenna for it to minimize signal loss.

You can plan trips on a pc and transfer your planning to the Montana. Kinda pricey though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a Magellan TRX7 gps love it for sure!!! does the trick it is mostly on the passenger side and they wife is getting very savvy at operating and navigating with it!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I like more screen realestate when in the jeep. I went with the motion-x software and a bad elf external blue tooth GPS (satellite, not cell). The combo works great. You can even load google earth tracks into the GPS. I used it on our Ouray trip and it really helped a lot. I got the GPS tracks from traildamage.com. When in the jeep, it is mounted to a ram mount attached to one of the CMM grab handles. I am setup the LJ and am setting up my 2 door the same way.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use an old Garmin Legend GPS and it works ok. I'm able to load maps on to it and download tracks/ trails where I have been. Its about 15 years old but still does the job.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Delorme... I also have a JVC in dash navigation which works great in the city but is useless off-road LOL. It tells me I am nowhere near a road LOL. You can see my Delorme with the RAM mount on the CMM handles on the below photo. I thought I had some better photos I am sure I do somewhere.

Jeep15 by Jeremy Church, on Flickr

Here is a photo of the Delorme
006 by Jeremy Church, on Flickr

Jeep16 by Jeremy Church, on Flickr

20150619_100828 by Jeremy Church, on Flickr

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use a Garmin Montana in the jk and when I hike. 1:24,000 Topo maps are available for your geographic region. Keep it on for about 8-9 hrs on it's rechargeable battery, run off aaa batteries, or buy an after market solar panel. Rarely lost gps signal...but you can buy an external attenna for it to minimize signal loss.

You can plan trips on a pc and transfer your planning to the Montana. Kinda pricey though.
Been using the Montana for years in the Jeep, Hiking/backpacking, on the motorcycle. Very versatile. Can have different profiles for each one and even sub profiles (IE: Jeep On Road. Jeep Off Road. Topo ON. Topo Off. Takes some patience, but once set up I haven't had to touch diddly! There is also a forum on ADVRider-- THE Montana FAQS page (Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs | Adventure Rider that is easier to find out and learn things

·
Registered
44 Posts
cadilac of the hand helds is the delorne's I had a pn20 and now have a pn60 too. I also have a couple cheaper gamins. Delorne maps are the best. Its why the BLM uses them.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Been using the Montana for years in the Jeep, Hiking/backpacking, on the motorcycle. Very versatile. Can have different profiles for each one and even sub profiles (IE: Jeep On Road. Jeep Off Road. Topo ON. Topo Off. Takes some patience, but once set up I haven't had to touch diddly! There is also a forum on ADVRider-- THE Montana FAQS page (Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs | Adventure Rider that is easier to find out and learn things
Do you use a desktop program to plan and then sync to your Montana? I'm currently using basecamp, but it is so damned buggy it's hard to use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most phones use assisted GPS, so if you have no cell service, you have no GPS. You can download your maps for offline in Google maps, and I've done that with my tablet. Personally, I LOVE my TOM TOM. But it's 7 years old, and due for an upgrade. I've seen some decent handheld over the years, but never found one that really "called my name". I haven't looked at them in awhile. Next time I hit up best buy or other electronics shop,mill have to take a look. I remember spending close to $400 on my TOM TOM, but it was the largest screen GPS at the time!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Finally got around to taking a picture of my Magellan TRX7 GPS. its awesome and I have no complaints about it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use a Dual 150 XGPS Bluetooth receiver, iPad Mini, and iPad Air kneeboard (Amazon). Loaded a bunch of Topo maps and programs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts