JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't seen this topic covered here, but I was curious ( not bi-curious like Chris) in terms of what you gun owners use to keep your semi-autos and revolvers maintained. I've seen a lot of info on youtube, but there seems to be a good deal of variations in terms of what people use and how they go about cleaning and lubricating their weapons.

I personally am using only solvent and oil. I use a bore-snake as well as a lot of Q-Tips, patches, and rags cut from old/ soft t-shirts.

Do any of y'all use dry-lube? I have some but haven't yet used it.

Do y'all use grease or oil to lubricate your slide and frame rails?

Do y'all recommend oil containing Teflon?

Are there certain brands that are better than others?

Etc, etc, etc... Please list your suggestions and techniques here.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,957 Posts

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
I do a field strip / clean / lube after every time I go shooting. That's overkill imho... But I'm no expert. I also have switched to Froglube. Its non toxic so you can use it in your house with no issues. The youtube reviews are pretty much all positave.

Me and my son have put over 600 rounds thru my .45 XD and over 3000 rounds thru our AR15s using this CLP and all is good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use Amsoil on my Kimbers and ARs for lube , had a quart of 20-50 left over and decided to try it and it is the slickest, smoothest stuff I have ever used on a gun and the heat won't burn it off.... not to mention a quart goes a long way.

I use Hoppies on the inside of the slide and frame.... and foaming bore cleaner and a boresnake on the barrel on my handguns.
Fill the barrel with the foam (put your finger over one end or it will go everywhere) set it aside and clean rest of gun so as to let the foam do its work.
When you are finished with the rest run the boresnake through it, wipe down the outside of barrel and give it a light lube on the outside including the locking lugs and the barrel hood....just a couple of drops will do it.

As far as the slide goes I put some lube on the rail recesses from the back with the slide standing on it's muzzle and just let gravity work LOL
IMO any more lube than that is just asking for dirt build up.

Also take off the grips ever once in a while and clean under them and to check for rust......and yes even stainless guns rust.
I have rusted every Stainless pistol I have had from carrying it...between the sweat/humidity and the grips trapping both they rust.

If the barrel on your Kimber starts to rust or discolor some (and I say it will given time) , I just use 800grip emery cloth or Lead Away cloth on mine and lube it again....... it just seems to be a Kimber thing every Kimber I has seen will or/has done it , stainless barrel or not.

The ARs get Hoppies all around, using wet patch and boresnake on barrel, along with a scrubbing and scraping of the BCG.
Tried the foaming bore cleaner on the AR once LOL.....never thought I was gonna get it out of the gas system ;)

Ok I will stop babbling now.........:beer:

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Froglube Fanboy

I did use Hoppes #9 solvent, Breakfree CLP and Shooters Choice grease. A while ago, I tried Froglube and I haven't looked back. It works as advertised. I use it on my folding knives, on the wood stocks of some of my rifles. It's an excellent all purpose CLP. I use the paste like I would grease and the liquid like regular CLP even though they are the same product. Being non toxic makes the wife happy. I don't have to hear how I'm going to kill the animals anymore.:)

For cleaning tools, I use the basics. Plastic and bronze bore brushes, tooth brushes, Q tips, cleaning patches, bore snakes, old tee shirts, microfiber towels.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Frog Lube. Field strip after every time I shoot b/c I like nice shiny things. Especially if its something I'll be carrying. If I'm storing it for a while after I'm done with the Frog Lube I apply a light coat for general lub, otherwise I leave it more on the dry side. The cool thing about Frog Lube is that as the gun heats up from shooting the Frog Lube continues to lubricate b/c it seeps into the pores of the metal so when it gets hot it comes out. I know I didnt explain that well.

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
I have 20,000+ rounds through my fnp9. Never replaced a part.

I use hoppes 9 to clean everything. I don't use qtips. Just patches and different picks an what not. Then everything gets a light coating of rem oil. At the end the action. Gets run a few times and I wipe off the outside.

Never needed more than that on any of my pistols.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've been using Slip 2000 cleaners and lubes with great success. I'm a Glock guy, so a bottle of lube lasts a long damn time. Next time I run out I'm going to give the Frog Lube a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
+1 on the FrogLube. It doesn't taste half bad either. When something claims to be edible, you have to try it. It's minty if you don't want to try for yourself.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is almost like the "what's the best crank case oil" question.

Similar answer to that question. Use quality, Use often.

I clean my handguns and rifles after every time I shoot them.

Quality bore cleaner until I get a clean pad, then oil pad, then final dry pad.

Moving parts get a dab of grease

Externals get a VERY light coat of oil followed by a clean dry rubdown.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use frog lube on almost anything that I would use solvent, 3in1, Hoppes, ect on. I use it as patch lube for my flintlocks, case lube when I reload, clean and lube my reloading dies and use it on my tools... It doesn't replace all solvents/ lubes but for the majority of smaller items it works well. It's really some good stuff. Make sure you use a microfiber towel after you apply otherwise tight frame rails and slides will gum up. Other than that issue, the stuff is really unbelievable.

First post, BTW. :koolaid2:

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I use frog lube on almost anything that I would use solvent, 3in1, Hoppes, ect on. I use it as patch lube for my flintlocks, case lube when I reload, clean and lube my reloading dies and use it on my tools... It doesn't replace all solvents/ lubes but for the majority of smaller items it works well. It's really some good stuff. Make sure you use a microfiber towel after you apply otherwise tight frame rails and slides will gum up. Other than that issue, the stuff is really unbelievable.

First post, BTW. :koolaid2:
LOL, welcome :beer:. Nicely done :D

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I toss them in the ultrasonic cleaner and watch TV. :laughing:

Then I hose it with whatever oil (I like Militec), wipe off and done.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I toss them in the ultrasonic cleaner and watch TV. :laughing:

Then I hose it with whatever oil (I like Militec), wipe off and done.
It seems to me like Militec is very similar to Frog Lube. Am I correct with that?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Y'all have made this a damn fine thread. :beer:

I guess I will eventually have to try some of the Froglube since it looks like I can use it on a variety of things besides just my guns.

Seems like my regiment is pretty much spot-on when compared to how you guys are cleaning your guns and what y'all are using to clean and lube. I'm definitely meticulous about all aspects of maintenance.

For any of you guys that use Q-Tips for cleaning/ detailing ( not just guns), I wanted to post a picture of these things that I found the other day in the cosmetic dept at Walmart. These things are awesome.. cotton but the tips are pointed and more tightly wrapped than regular Q-Tips. Check 'em out...

Swisspers cotton cosmetic applicators
$2.17 for pkg of 80

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts