JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving in salted roads for 2 days ,none of the car washes were open, because it was still below freezing so I decide to wash it myself. I fire up my propane salamander type heater in my shop and start washing.

This is the first time I washed my JKU by hand. What a pain washing around all the obstacles! Now I dont want to drive it in nasty weather just so it doesnt get dirty. Pretty sad .

·
Registered
339 Posts
I spend all winter driving on salted roads and don't loose sleep over it. It's only a Jeep, who cares.

Maybe you should trade in your Jeep for a plastic Saturn. ;)

Seriously, don't worry about it. You're Jeep won't rust to pieces after 2 days of winter driving

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Go with somthing like this

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
by one of those lawn sprinklers that shoots straight up and connects to a garden hose.

Set it in various places under the Jeep to rinse the entire belly. A fresh water rinse will help prevent corrosion. Fresh water is better than salt water.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm in agreement, I like to keep my stuff clean as it makes it easier to see if I have any problems...especially in the engine compartment. Jeep gets dirty, I drive it to work to do the old "Look What I Did!" to start the water cooler convos and then the crap gets cleaned.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Damn right, just because it's a Jeep, it doesn't have to look like a slob or pigpen owns it. I keep the inside of my JK spotless and the Granite Crystal Metallic paint doesn't show a lot of dirt and I only wash it every few months - more in the summer just because I don't like putting the windows away dirty because they scratch so bad.

I also agree that it is easier to see something wrong with a clean Jeep.

After a wheeling weekend in November

4 hours of cleaning

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree its a Jeep and they look great dirty, but take care of your equipment and they take care of you. To each their own. I have a Mastercraft Wakeboard boat and trust me, I'm TOTALLY OCD about that thing.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I really don't think that there's anything wrong with being anal from time to time. I'm not ashamed to admit that I am. I used to not mind my junk being covered in shit but as I got older I realized that keeping my parts clean meant keeping them working properly. Whether I'm pounding it hard or just casually sliding it through a tight muddy hole, I want to make sure that I know the condition of my little beast.

I often times get lots of men showing a lot of interest in my junk and I'm usually more than happy to show it to them in more intimate detail. A lot of times their interest will lead to me showing them what's up underneath and I feel a lot better allowing them to see up in there without having to scrape and wipe a bunch of crusty crap off of it first. I'll totally open things up and expose it all if I have the time... I don't mind.

The health of my junk is paramount as well, and nothing like keeping it all clean, lubricated, and maybe even going at it with some wax from time to time... to really get to know the condition of things. Who wants to find out that they had an issue that needed attention and that they were unaware of it due to some dried-on shit all over their junk.

I don't mind guys that keep their monsters all dirty. Hell... sometimes it definitely lets another guy know for a fact that you really use your junk and that you might even be a little hardcore, but I allow my technique and my skill to show other guys what my nasty little toy can do when I get on it.

It does get hard trying to clean my meat however... All those little crevices and bumps make that job a real pain. Usually I'll just grit my teeth and get in there with a stiff one ( a stiff brush). I don't clean the rubber very often but when I do, I like to do a good job... and hell, the whole package looks so much better when I just use some elbow-grease and rinse all that stinky crud off of those big things. Finish it off with an oily damp rag and the whole presentation really comes together.

·
Registered
400 Posts
We are talking about your Jeep right? LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
re: Hand Washing

I may have missed a point but the OP wasn't just talking dirt; dirt will be there until you remove it and can hide damage and assist in escalating rust or corrosion, sure. My black JKU is dirty as flip on the outside and I will get around to the OCD cleanup sometime. But, that being said, was the OP not mentioning SALINE/ CHEMICAL ROAD ICE MELTING SUBSTANCES HAVING BEEN DRIVEN THROUGH as the cause for his momentary OCD? We ALL know wtf that [email protected] does to metal. Mud? whatev'....dirt? I have a black Jeep so there is dirt even when I wash it for four hours. SALT or DE-ICING CHEMS? Get those the flip off of every single spot that I can immediately. I also cannot attest more earnestly than I am to those that run aftermarket aux tranny coolers or anything that is mounted in front of the OEM radiator that you remove that plastic six pin cover between the radiator and the front face plate and get the crap out from the space between radiator and the cooler. I have a "magic wand" and a power washer that I use to get inside the frame , within the rock sliders , up under the pre axle dump Dynomax, EVERYWHERE that that deicer [email protected] can collect.
I dont cares about dirts. I cares a lots abouts salt/metro de-icing chemicals.

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
We are talking about your Jeep right? LOL
With Stub, ya gotta be careful* .... double entendre is one of his specialties......he cleans his meat crevices whilst gritting his teeth and using elbow grease? He means his rig......
:thefinger:

<*edit: "....pounding it hard or just casually sliding it through a tight muddy hole...." LMFAO>

1 - 20 of 25 Posts