JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious why you run half doors? Besides they look cool (doorless looks great too). Safety for kids? More aerodynamic? I have been considering getting some of the rugged ridge half doors, but I can't figure out when I would use them. If the weather is nice enough for them I'm gonna be doorless. If it's not then I'd have my full doors on. My full doors usually come off mid April and stay off rain or shine till early October.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Just curious why you run half doors? Safety?
Yup, SAFETY!

I have full doors, but when I have more storage room at home, half doors are in the plan.

Many times, I've run over a deadfall and had it kick up against the side of the Jeep.

My passenger door has a crease / dent from a stick (branch) standing up and dragging along it.
If the door wasn't there, my wife's kidney would have been the point of contact. :nono:

If you're in the open or on the beach, doorless is probably fine. In the woods, sticks can be dicks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a set of strike force zebra half doors. Mainly for the wife who won't let me go doorless, but driving to work I throw my stuff in the passenger footwell and don't want it to come falling it. That's about it

·
Registered
979 Posts
I really could have used half doors a couple of weeks ago wheeling...i ended up going through a water crossing that was just above the door sill. Half doors would have kept most of that water out and let me have the visibility that comes with the doors off wheeling experience. Plus, it would save my full doors from scratches and other trail damage.

That said, Savvy makes a really nice pair of doors, made from aluminum no less.

·
Vendor
351 Posts
I went with a set of the Savvy half aluminum doors. The reason being is that my 2 year old daughter didn't like how "open" the Rancho tube doors are. ( I am Rancho too, so I have those tube doors with the Spider Web Skins). She likes the half doors a lot. My six year old son, doesn't care if there are doors, tube doors, half doors or no doors. :)

Just curious why you run half doors? Besides they look cool (doorless looks great too). Safety for kids? More aerodynamic? I have been considering getting some of the rugged ridge half doors, but I can't figure out when I would use them. If the weather is nice enough for them I'm gonna be doorless. If it's not then I'd have my full doors on. My full doors usually come off mid April and stay off rain or shine till early October.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
For me its because I have factory half doors...(2door)
so every thing I need to put the top back up rides with me in the cargo area

Upper halfs
door surounds
back side windows

if it starts to rain and I need my top its all right there.. all the time.

I couldnt see owning full doors..and with the factory halfdoors I dont need aftermarket..

I still pop the doors off..but not as much as I would if I had fulls

·
Registered
359 Posts
The main reason I run half doors is that I get a better view of things when I'm wheeling and a sense of security that my fat butt won't slide out on off camber situations (I know I won't when running with no doors but it still freaks me out a bit).

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I run factory half doors and uppers with a TrekTop NX. I ditched my hard top and full doors and dig the half doors. I don't have a garage or storage (I live on the road in my RV), so I wanted the half doors for visibility, comfort, and coolness factor. The uppers pop out easily and can stay in the RV or back of the Jeep, and visibility out the doors is much better than rolling down the windows of a full door. The half doors are a fraction of what the full doors weigh. I never run doorless, and like that my alarm is still armed if any idiot wants to open one of my doors. I also like the stock mirrors and the mounting location.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Because half doors are badass... and because Mrs KOOL AID refuses to ride in the Jeep without doors, so there's that...

·
Research, bro!
2,219 Posts
Besides the fact plain that factory half doors are pure sexy, I run mine during dry season because the trails are three + hours away and with the uppers on I don't have deal with getting beat by the elements before I get there. At trail uppers come off and like the arm rest and increased viability factor. I have a set of tube doors that I rarely even use, just because to me it is only slightly less annoying than going doorless at extended highway speeds.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Forgot about the superior arm restability factor. That also kicks much ass.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Everyone else pretty much nailed it. I had factory half doors on my TJ and I miss them. Full doors suck when your shoulder is touching the side of your neck trying to see an obstacle. Having mud and water blast you with no doors sucks. I have been eyeballing those Savvy doors with interest.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
1. Chicks dig half doors
2. you get all the benefits of doorless but no mud/dirt/water flung up on you when you are on the trail.

I just recently got a set of the Bestop soft doors. Ran the lowers while wheeling this weekend and absolutely loved them. We were on Black Mtn in Harlan, Co, Ky and there are some wet areas. Kept a ton of crap out of my jeep.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I wanted half doors for the longest time but found them way too expensive - at least new - and gave up. At least for now. :confused:

What I did instead is took a hybrid approach where I have rancho tube doors up front with spider web shade door skins and rugged ridge rear half doors for the kiddos. I like it so far but it's summer only. Full doors and hard top go on in winter. No plans on going with the rr fronts or uppers for the rear. The rear doors at decent and heavy (tube doors inside the plastic?) but i find the occasional popping noises from the heat expansion and contraction a little annoying. I found a cheap set of power heated mirrors ($90 for the pair versus each) and plan to wire them in with a hacked up OEM door harness at some point.

I do hope to find my way to a set of mopar half doors at some point. They are well made and I have see them in person several times.

RRauzer has great points (and I've seen his Rig and half doors) and we are in the same boat with respect to distance from some of the very same trails. In my case, I'm an ex biker (bmw twin, honda crotch rockets plus off road stuff) and have no problem driving the jeep all day to and from the trail as well as on the trail with no doors. The overhead and tube soor shades do take some of the edge off. Between my weather resistant winter jacket and northridge logo beanie, I'm good. Though I just picked up a milwaukee fuel m12 driver and also saw that they also offer some very interesting m12 powered heated parkas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts