JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say there jeepers, Ohio got hit with major hail last night. I guess there was all kinds of cloud rotation and three funnel clouds were spotted forming (but none touched down)... So... For those of us on duty, we got to run all night on wires down, trees into homes, fall-down-go-boom's and MVA's. Yep, that lasted most of the night. Come to find that every one of our cars had windshields broken and multiple impact marks on our vehicles out in the lot.

The worst (in dollars) was my buddy's 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi, four door, four wheel drive, all black with the composite bed and built-in tool boxes... It looked like an angry ex-girlfriend attacked his shit with a hammer!

Now, as for my JK, it was obvious that the windshield had been broken. It wasn't until I drove it home and it had dried off, that I noticed the hood had like 50 nickle sized dents in it, the windshield frame had 5 dents, the d/s fender had 2 small dents, the d/s doors had dings too - but the forward door was far worse. The hardtop was covered in about a hundred shallow dents (or deep scuffs). Lastly the little stretch of sheet metal aft of the rear door, over the rear fender flare the stretches from the C-post to the taillight was dented in three places.

So its:
Windshield and frame, hood, fender, two doors and the rear quarter that was damaged - FOR SURE. AND possibly the hard top.

Anybody know how much damage this was. Fair to say, I'll be paying that $500 deductible to All State, but I wondered what the tally would be. All but the quarter panel are bolt-on parts right?

Not to sound cliche, but whats the damage?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Possible hard tops ass! If there are any of the slightest dents then the fiber has lost it's structural composition and or bond. They will be soft spots and they will get worse over the long haul and will also drop the resale value. My opinion is replace it. That's why we give money away to the insurance companies.

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
^^^x2. Looks like its time for an AEV hood, a WildBoar Fastback top, and some new flat fenders. (and maybe a new windshield too...) :thefinger:

A buddy of mine just had hail damage on his JK, and the cost of the repairs was more than what it would cost to get new parts. :shocked: Looks like there's a silver lining in there for you!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
That sucks. We got some of that hail as well, fortunately both our vehicles were in the garage. I had just made it home from work as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I've never submitted for an insurance claim before... If I wanna go with aftermarket gear, how do I get All State to cut ME the check, instead of a three-party check there at the stealership?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Yep! That sucks! I had 632 miles on my Heep and had it less than 3 days and ......................... BAMO!!!! Hail Storm!

The hard top was fine but the rest looked like a greasy faced teenaged kid!

+$6500 in damage. I tried to get some aftermarket parts to fix the damage but, insurance would only allow original equipment / parts.

If you want aftermarket stuff (AEV hood, etc.), work it out with the repair shop.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yep! That sucks! I had 632 miles on my Heep and had it less than 3 days and ......................... BAMO!!!! Hail Storm!

The hard top was fine but the rest looked like a greasy faced teenaged kid!

+$6500 in damage. I tried to get some aftermarket parts to fix the damage but, insurance would only allow original equipment / parts.

If you want aftermarket stuff (AEV hood, etc.), work it out with the repair shop.
It almost sounds like the dealership had something to do with that call. OEM parts typically have way higher profit margin than aftermarket. Sounds like they had thier own best interests in mind.

Shops use aftermarket instead of OEM all the time.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
It almost sounds like the dealership had something to do with that call. OEM parts typically have way higher profit margin than aftermarket. Sounds like they had thier own best interests in mind.

Shops use aftermarket instead of OEM all the time.

I didn't take it to the dealer. Local Body Shop! I understand their (my insurance agent's ) thought process.

I bought the Jeep on a Sat afternoon and the hail storm happened on a Monday. Insurance just found out I bought the Jeep just hours before the storm.

Plus, I'm not complaining. I didn't want the "paintless dent" stuff on my NEW Jeep that had less than 700 miles. I wanted NEW metal!

BTW................ That's BS on OEM parts have more margin than aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
BTW................ That's BS on OEM parts have more margin than aftermarket.

Ummm, I was the parts manager at a dealership for over 8 years. Not Jeep but it's more or less all the same.

My nearest dealership wanted $195.96 for an updated soft top header bar and yesterday I was able to get the same OEM part online for $90.63 plus $9.95 shipping. Dealerships primary competition is other dealerships. Most people are too lazy to shop around on dealer only items.

The aftermarket world is far more competitive and they typically work on much lower margins.

Vendors, back me up here.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a big fan of overkill engineering: I'd love a set of fender with flares and the rocker-rear flare-corner guard combo they do. Os Overkill a yellow star on JKO? If so, I wonder if they'd hook me up on this order??? :)smokin:) Either way, I will have some major thinking to do on this one...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You should be able to tell them you havent decided on who or what shop you want to do the repairs. You should be able to get the INS company to cut you the check.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, I chatted with a rep about that, and they said that they'd cut the check to the bank and I, in that case. So I called the bank and they said they didn't care WHO I took it to and that they'd endorse it over to me BUT they would need a receipt from the shop that I went to (to get the work done) saying the repairs were paid for...

I think the world of aftermarket equipment available to the JK offers upgrades that FAR exceed the quality of OEM gear. I don't know HOW to communicate this to the INS folks (or the bank for that matter).

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I JUST got my JK back from hail damage. I got a new driver's fender, hood, door skin and a bunch of conventional repairs to the driver's side. I didn't fix the lower rocker (put $$ toward PSC's armor that covers it) and it racked up $4500 pretty quickly. NOW the initial adjuster wrote me a check for a measily $750 to PDR all the panels! What a dumbfuck! The body shop sends in a supplement for what they need to fix it, which was $3800 on top of my initial check. If you want something not fixed or replaced with aftermarket, talk to your body shop rep and he should take care of it. It's your money to do with it as you please. Like I said I told him to not fix the lower rocker damage. Which added up to $285. That $285 was removed from my $500 deductible and the damage was left, so "I have money that would be spent on my deductible going to PSC"

·
Registered
931 Posts
As far as aftermarket goes I would get buddy buddy with a guy who owned a body repair shop. Good to know a guy for stuff like that. if you can't go the aftermarket route, I'm sure you could sell your new hood and fenders an stuff if you wanted to.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where is the best place to get an AEV hood in detonator yellow? Is it more cost effective to get the hood unpainted and then take it some where?

Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Ummm, I was the parts manager at a dealership for over 8 years. Not Jeep but it's more or less all the same.

My nearest dealership wanted $195.96 for an updated soft top header bar and yesterday I was able to get the same OEM part online for $90.63 plus $9.95 shipping. Dealerships primary competition is other dealerships. Most people are too lazy to shop around on dealer only items.

The aftermarket world is far more competitive and they typically work on much lower margins.

Vendors, back me up here.

Congratulations on your experience with the same job! It's hard to find people that will be that committed to an organization. Again congratulations!

I've been the Chief Janitor at Sanitation Department for 3 months now! I'll defer to your expertise!

:thefinger:

Sent from my "Walkie Talkie."

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^^x2. Looks like its time for an AEV hood, a WildBoar Fastback top, and some new flat fenders. (and maybe a new windshield too...) :thefinger: Looks like there's a silver lining in there for you!
Hey I just looked up Wild Boar's fastback top (in dual sunroofs) and the authorized dealer out of Paris, TN, say that top (m/n WB12007) is $4000! The UNpainted AEV hood is $799. AND then there's the Flat fenders...

These numbers are less shipping of course...

No WAY allstate's going to foot the bill for this, man! What were you thinking???

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
Hey I just looked up Wild Boar's fastback top (in dual sunroofs) and the authorized dealer out of Paris, TN, say that top (m/n WB12007) is $4000! The UNpainted AEV hood is $799. AND then there's the Flat fenders...

These numbers are less shipping of course...

No WAY allstate's going to foot the bill for this, man! What were you thinking???
Just that if you can get them to cut a check to you, as opposed to the body shop, that sometimes buying those aftermarket parts are sometimes cheaper than getting bodywork done on your stock parts. Why/how do you think that people upgrade to ProRock 44's if and when they're in a front-end collision?

And depending on who you talk to *cough, cough...Marcus at RCO* things like that aren't always retail price. If you can manage to do your own install work, that makes them even cheaper!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
any vibes on Overkill Engineering's JK line of products?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts