JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's say you have a new JK coming(2dr, half-door) and you're in an enviable position to outfit it to the tits. Not necessarily a project, all bolt-on.
Bumpers/winch
Skids/rockers
Axles(complete w/ brakes)
Lift
Tires/wheels/flares/air
Performance
Tops
Dropdown tailgate/bed mount tire carrier
BedTred/slushmats
Seats
Shift knobs
CB
Lights
Lockable storage
Mirrors/footpegs/grab bars/hood latches

This will be a DD/WW. What's left to do, even the little things?

I ask cuz I may be in the position to make it so at the git-go and anything desired afterwards will be like yankin' teeth...even the little things.

I'm a function-over-form kinda guy so, please, don't hit me up with useless bling. Serious, makes a difference stuff whether it's for your comfort, ease of use, integration of components, etc.

If I'm gonna get a whole cake with the icing, I can't add candles afterwards.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If money is no option...

Poison Spyder / Warn Zeon
Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Dynatrac PR60 front and rear
3.5" Rock Krawler with coilovers, stretch kit, longarms
40" Nittos/Toyo, 17" Spiderlock beadlocks, Poison Spyder front narrow fenders
Ripp supercharger, LS, Hemi, etc.
Stock soft top with Spiderweb Shade
No/No
LineX, Raptor, etc interior floor
50" Rigid E-Series

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Allow me to clarify. That list is the stuff already taken care of.
What else is left to do? Cameras are the only thing I can think of at the moment.

What's a No/No? Search didn't help.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Allow me to clarify. That list is the stuff already taken care of.
What else is left to do? Cameras are the only thing I can think of at the moment.

What's a No/No? Search didn't help.
I think he meant no drop down tailgate, no in bed tire carrier. That's the order it appears on your list.

Didn't notice seat covers (checked again and saw seats, but . . .). Trek Armor ones are high quality, get great comments from everyone I've heard comment, and add versatility with the MOLLE mounting system.

For air, I like the powertank, although mounting can be a challenge with a soft top.

I like the Star Manufacturing JK Smart Door system. If you're on a slope very much, it keeps the doors from beating the crap outta ya.

Would also consider adding a cage kit. Personally, I like the Poison Spyder one. Others have their favorites as well and there are several to choose from, with their own arguments as to why theirs is best.

SPOD for making it easy to add those LEDs, etc.

All I can think of right now . . .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stereo upgrade - speakers and amps - I won't suggest any particular equipment as it is a personal choice and there are tons of decent options, but if you want to hear your tunes over the roar of the tires with the top down as a daily driver, it's worth the investment. Other than that, it looks like you have it pretty well covered.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think he meant no drop down tailgate, no in bed tire carrier. That's the order it appears on your list.
Ha. Totally missed that. :thankyou:

I have no use for a tire/wheel hangin' in the breeze just waitin' to cave in my tailgate and tweak my tub when some ditzshit soccermom rearends me.
The real reason is weight...centralization and reduction.
The in-bed mount will be part of a trunk system.

The dropdown? I've yet to see one pick-up, blazer, bronco, ramcharger or other useful utility vehicle with a swinggate.
Dumbest design idea ever. Just fucking stupid. (One of the things that kept me from a Wrangler in the first place all those many years ago).

Stereo? Meh. I have Bowers & Wilkins at home I don't listen to...
Also don't care about Connectivity, Sirius, GPS, etc.
Aside from my lack of need for a RockTrac or e-discos, another reason I won't be gettin' a Rubicon is the subwoofer. Just takin' up space and I'm not in "used parts retail". The front axle will be addressed.
Thanks for the thought tho'.

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Better cage or slight exo cage?

Sent with Autoguide while watching chicks get naked.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no intentions of rolling, but I had no intentions of rolling my XJ, either. :D

A cage is something I should look into but I don't think I'm interested in any exo-types and I doubt any of the other types would be worth a shit if there wasn't welding and/or serious drilling involved. Again, something I'm not interested in. However, if there were options that utilized the stock cage mountings...
I don't know much about cages. :confused:

One of the things I failed to mention was an overhead center console. A cage could make that a no brainer.

As it has to do with cages, without going through the dash, would they add that much more safety over the stocker? If so, any other benefits?
How much do they interfere with the front footwells? And, what about door uppers?(I'll be driving in the winter).

Abacabb thinks you have a body hair problem- 10jk
I do. It all fell out. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do the 2dr jks have the cubby hole under the rear floor? At one point I was toying with the notion of cutting mine to put a compressor in the floor with quick disconnects in the floor and a cage underneath to protect it.

Sent with Autoguide while watching chicks get naked.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Couldn't tell ya...I'm in the "fund appropriations" segment of ownership.
It's not that the money isn't there, I just have to account for every dollar before the funds get "released". It's a tooth pullin' exercise and I ain't no dentist. :D
However, if it does, that's also the kinda info I'm looking for. Where are the unused nooks-n-crannies?
One that I'm trying to fill is the recesses for the tailgate hinge. With a dropgate, it leaves those unused and they're pretty solid mounting points for something else.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm not a crawler, more of an overlander, so TrueTracs, actually. In with the Axles on the list along with gears, RCVs, Hi Steer, etc. I still have to work out the details...how much lift requiring how much other componentry and whose. Leaning towards AEV and Dynatrac. Will be rolling on 34s.

Driveshafts are a question. I'm thinking they'll be my weak link but for good reason. Sacrificial, easier to repair/replace. If the lift stays mild, 2.5"-3", I think the stockers will suffice.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The dropdown? I've yet to see one pick-up, blazer, bronco, ramcharger or other useful utility vehicle with a swinggate.
Dumbest design idea ever. Just fucking stupid. (One of the things that kept me from a Wrangler in the first place all those many years ago).
BinksFab rocked it on mine. All Aluminum and looks factory. I had already wrecked the factory gate (dragged the spare tire down a rock, it peeled back like a sardine can). Money better be no object, as it wasn't cheap! Since your in PA, I'd go hit up RiverRaider for something similar.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Binks' tailgate...classy, that's for sure.

Genesis, if all your products are that well thought out, you've got my attention.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have no use for a tire/wheel hangin' in the breeze just waitin' to cave in my tailgate and tweak my tub when some ditzshit soccermom rearends me.
The real reason is weight...centralization and reduction.
The in-bed mount will be part of a trunk system.

There is a good argument against putting the tire in the bed of a short wheel base rig like the 2 door. When the tire is on the back like it was designed to be, there is weight in the back to keep traction. When it is moved further forward people have had trouble getting traction since the weight is no longer providing leverage over the axle. Not to mention it will take up space in an already limited area for all the overland gear and other gear you will need to take along.

Can you explain why you think the swing gate is a stupid design? Just because pick ups have drop down gates doesn't mean that they are the best thing for being useful. Unless you are stretch arm strong it will make getting things in and out of the bed, including a heavy tire, a pain in the ass since you will be that much further away from what you need to remove. When the gate swings open you are right in front of what you need to take out and don't have to reach over the entire tail gate to get it. My wife and I do a lot of camping with the jeep. If she had to reach over the tail gate she would never be able to help me pack and unpack all our gear.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
Having wheeled a lot with my 2door spare on a rear carrier, and flat in the back, I can say there really isnt a difference in traction/weight.... I kept digging it into the ground on drops and climbs and prefer it in the back now....

But for the love of god strap that shit down. I see do many people with it just layed down back there. Even on the street, it will kill you in an accident if it shifts around.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts