JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my recon quit spooling out. In was fine but it had to be disengaged to pull line. When taking it apart there was a mystery screw rattling around inside. Turns out one of the solenoid screws was never seated from the factory (the end where it should engage was stripped). My guess is that it shorted something out.

So, time for a replacement. I had heard good things about the Superwinch talon series. The waterproofing was a big plus. So, I ordered one with synthetic line from quadratec. Today I finally got around to installing it. Pulled my old mounting plate off and cleaned it up. Unpacked the Superwinch and.. huh? Wire had been spooled and it was obvious The finish was worn off in spots and other spots had the wire imprint. Thankfully there was no damage to the spool or wire bits. I was not happy but at least I could get it on for the run to Chocolocca this coming weekend.

Now for the synthetic rope. Kudos to superwinch/quadratec for including good quality Viking rope. Loosened the set screw and threaded the rope through. When I got to the second spot wrapped with electrical tape (the spot in the spool and set by the set screw) it would not feed through. I pulled it back out and pulled off the electrical tape. Presto. The line is damaged. Looks like one whole strand is broken.

FML. Quadratec is getting a not happy call from me early Monday.

For some reason I could not upload the pics. Will try again later.

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Interesting. Let us know how that gets resolved.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
Factory testing ? or quality control ? Not sure if they test each winch at thge factory, maybe taht explains the wire spooling

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Factory testing ? or quality control ? Not sure if they test each winch at thge factory, maybe taht explains the wire spooling
Good point there. I had not thought of that. This is the first winch I have had to spool line on. My recon came with the line already on it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with quadratec today. They were going to get me new synthetic line out ASAP. I need it before Thursday as we have a run Chocolocca planned and I am leaving Friday to pick up my M1101 trailer. Lets hope quadratec makes this right. I gave them this link so they could see the pictures. My guess is that the title ensured that they know I am not happy with the situation.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
FYI, Superwinch tests all their winches with steel rope before they ship them out as part of their QC. Most other winch companies do the same even if they come with synthetic line. It doesn't hurt anything. However, obviously the line is a problem there with a broken strand. That has definitely been cut somewhere along the process of packaging and delivery.

Not sure why this is in DL though...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
FYI, Superwinch tests all their winches with steel rope before they ship them out as part of their QC. Most other winch companies do the same even if they come with synthetic line. It doesn't hurt anything. However, obviously the line is a problem there with a broken strand. That has definitely been cut somewhere along the process of packaging and delivery.

Not sure why this is in DL though...
I have to agree. This was jumping the gun on DL.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have to agree. This was jumping the gun on DL.
Possibly it is an ADMIN problem.

Dirty Laundry: "A Place To Talk About What You Don't Like About a JK"

I guess the OP didn't like the quality of his new purchase for his JK. It appears to be a simple issue but one he is none to happy about.

Maybe a MOD should come in and call out the OP, and then quickly lock down the thread before he can respond.:thefinger:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Possibly it is an ADMIN problem.

Dirty Laundry: "A Place To Talk About What You Don't Like About a JK"

I guess the OP didn't like the quality of his new purchase for his JK. It appears to be a simple issue but one he is none to happy about.

Maybe a MOD should come in and call out the OP, and then quickly lock down the thread before he can respond.:thefinger:
Your point is well taken. Perhaps DL's description be changed to aptly describe the forum as "A place to bitch after the vendor stops talking to you".

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which forum site am I on again? I figured DL was the right place for this (venting my frustration). Hopefully the replacement line will come in today. If that is the case then I will tip my hat to Quadratec for stepping up to the plate. If not, I will be pissed because I am not going to try a run on boat ramp w/o a winch. I leave Friday early to pick up my m1101 trailer and head to Choclocca for a weekend of offroading. I will definitely post up the final outcome.

IMHO, why finish the drum if your factory testing removes the finish? I give superwinch failing marks for finish and testing since the finish was removed. The drum now has a niced layer of orange duck tape on it.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Which forum site am I on again? I figured DL was the right place for this (venting my frustration). Hopefully the replacement line will come in today. If that is the case then I will tip my hat to Quadratec for stepping up to the plate. If not, I will be pissed because I am not going to try a run on boat ramp w/o a winch. I leave Friday early to pick up my m1101 trailer and head to Choclocca for a weekend of offroading. I will definitely post up the final outcome.

IMHO, why finish the drum if your factory testing removes the finish? I give superwinch failing marks for finish and testing since the finish was removed. The drum now has a niced layer of orange duck tape on it.
It is indeed the right place. Your venting and frustration will however be scrutinized accordingly. I agree that drum does not look SUPER.

Choccolocco

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wednesday and past delivery times. No replacement line. No tracking number. No email from quadratec, superwinch, or viking. I cannot call quadratec because their support lines close at 1600 Eastern. Strike 2 on quadratec. I was told the line would be here today.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
i've consistently gotten someone on the phone from quadratec up until 6 PM eastern time. Just call in on the line they have set up to order parts.

I think the spool issue has been adequately addressed, and Superwinch will tell you flat out on the phone that they test every single one of their winches under load before sending it out. the little bit of missing paint isn't going to hurt anything.

As for the line, well that sucks. Good luck on getting it resolved. I am shocked that you called in to Quadratec and no one answered. They'll make it right

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Given all the rain, there isn't a chance in hell you'll make it up boat ramp. Pulling cable is cheating.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i've consistently gotten someone on the phone from quadratec up until 6 PM eastern time. Just call in on the line they have set up to order parts.

I think the spool issue has been adequately addressed, and Superwinch will tell you flat out on the phone that they test every single one of their winches under load before sending it out. the little bit of missing paint isn't going to hurt anything.

As for the line, well that sucks. Good luck on getting it resolved. I am shocked that you called in to Quadratec and no one answered. They'll make it right
My call went straight to the message giving their hours and telling me to call back during them.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Given all the rain, there isn't a chance in hell you'll make it up boat ramp. Pulling cable is cheating.
Yep, probably so. I will still try and winch up rather than breaking a shaft on the bottom pocket of the obstacle.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still no replacement winch line. I am very disappointed with quadratec at this point and will have a long conversation with them this afternoon. I told them I had to have the winch for this weekend and they said go ahead an recut the line so I did. Much shorter line but I had it for Hell's Revenge this past weekend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts