JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a hit this weekend from a Harley shifter pedal.

What would be the best adhesive or method to repair the broken grille?

Any suggestions on mesh grille insert (s)?

the B&M trans cooler is warped pretty good but no leaks from it or radiator.

Close call there AND not bouncing up through windshield.

·
Registered
456 Posts
One of the NC members here has a direct link and usually has some Grilles laying around - I can't remember if it is NC_Fjizzle or whom though - but I would say buy a new one already painted and pop on / pop off. They are cheap...

Edit - found it - It's Grizzly

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44226&highlight=Grill

You might see something you want in the above thread :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hate to spend a hundred on somethin so fragile. Thanks though. Bound to be an adhesive that will bound these things.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your only other option is a junkyard, dealer or Wild Boar for replacements

The grill is plastic so some clear epoxy or even super glue may hold it, then maybe use a touch up pen on the crack

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Am I really going to be the first to comment about parts falling off of a Harley going down the road? I've been biting my tonge for a day now. Nope, not gonna do it, not me.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Grizzly

I'd go with just a whole plum new front bumper... I mean, you could kinda bondo it up. But it would always look a little different. I'm thinking that even if you took it off, cleaned it up and glued it from the back. Sanded and painted the front back it might do okay, but if the glue decided to expand, it would crack it again (and never be quite as strong). Plus there you are looking at $50+ and at least 2hrs time (and time is money...) Grizzly done good stuff from what I have seen. I'd just go that route... or as Fahrvegnugen, "junkyard..."

Plus, WTF is up with you getting hit by random flying bike pieces...?

3rd edit in 5 min. Haha. But, I just checked... Grizzly is out of front grills at the moment. So you might have to go the bondo/sanding/painting route...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, when i checked he was out... Bought a fiberglass kit, gonna glass the back and maybe red glaze the front crack, then bedline the grille and front edge (1" or so) of the hood... Hood on red '08 took a beating.. The winch and control box make the damaged area hare to see.. The Harley had a perfect line I guess.. Sure glad no copilot or radiator damage resulted from this. Bought me some lime green painters tape so I can pretend I know what I'm doing. This will be thirsty work. May take all weekend!
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to Skunk Works mode today

We'll see how this all holds up. Grill was pretty rough besides the Harley damage. Can't see spending money replacing something so fragile/damage/prone...

If anybody wants to take advantage of my mad fiberglass skills, I work for beer... And LOTS of it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
First off, was the pedal still attached to the bike?
Looks like a good fix. The glass will definitely help keep it together. five or ten minute epoxy works pretty good for little stuff and also as a filler.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts