JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my way home tonite, I nailed a side on the road puddle - been nailing the same one since I got the Jeep - and shortly after, Bertha goes into what I assume is limp home mode.

Anytime I give it gas, it feels like a governor kicking in and choking off the throttle. If I stay under 2k rpm, no problem. Anything more and its a no go.

Jeep's not throwing any codes and the airbox is bone dry.

WTF did I do?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ive had this happen on other vehicles at times.. You may have wet, or even knocked loose one of the connections for the coil or something stupid like that. Ya never know. Id just check out all possible connections.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decided my best option was to limp it to the local pub and have a few while this works itself out.

Only about 500yds from home, so worst to worst, I walk home.

Tomorrow's gonna suck unless this heals itself.

Paging TKobb...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Its probably that fu*&ing god awful designed electronic throttle.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Had that happen to me with multiple vehicles and it was always the alternator.
???
Charge light (or whatever idiot light) would have probably come on and then had to have run long enough without charge to drain battery enough to cause misfire due to low voltage..............right?

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Engine no longer stays running. Took about three attempts to get it goin and it immediately stalls out. Got it to sort of start, but it immediately had a rough idle and died again.

Disconnected battery to see if that helps anything.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
sounds exactly like the problem i was having with my bike, but that was solved by fixing the carb... sounds like either a coil, or a fuel issue...

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm gonna need that one dumbed down a little - you're talking to a tech tard here - so... what/where is the coil? Is this something I can service myself?

I keep thinking "Nah, can't be the coils. I changed all 4 when I installed the new suspension lift. Changed the shocks too"

EDIT:
Battery disco (neg terminal) for about a half hour this morning, but all that did was make the CEL flash at me when I re connected the battery. Still shitting the bed every time I get the engine to turn over.

Edit to the already edited post:
This is a coil pack, no? Not the red arrow, but all the yeller stuff.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
also, just throwin this out there, i see you doesnt has a snorkel... check teh airbox, doesnt sound like it would be water in the motor, but, never know...

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since this happened immediately after nailing a puddle, that was the first thing I checked. Box was bone dry right after it happened, so I dont think the engine drank any water.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
check engine light is on but no codes? That seems odd. That light doesn't light up unless there is a code. Get a scanner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts