JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be transferring to Grand Junction after Christmas with my job. Looking for any input on the area. Riding? Cost of Living? Crime? Good place to raise a family?

Kinda looking forward to it if it happens, right now it looks like a pretty sure thing.

G

·
I might be transferring to Grand Junction after Christmas with my job. Looking for any input on the area. Riding? Cost of Living? Crime? Good place to raise a family?

Kinda looking forward to it if it happens, right now it looks like a pretty sure thing.
Great trails near GJ and your only 90 minutes from Moab and about the same distance from Ouray.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Grand Junction is a decent place to live, if you can get a bit out of town you're even better off. 'Junction has some bad areas to avoid, like Clifton. Crime isn't that bad, but there is a bit of a drug problem. Meth is an issue in the bad neighborhoods and there's drug busts now and again. We live in Fruita and love it here, it's quiet, neighbors are nice and we're 15 min from shopping and restaurants in Junction. We haven't seen any drug problems in Fruita and nobody has bothered us. Palisade is nice, lots of Winery's. We really love Fruita, it's a great place for family life IMO.

The housing market is doing well here, due to the natural gas industry around Rifle. Home prices really haven't dropped like the rest of the country and houses are still selling. Costs are kind of high IMO, our 3 yr old 4 bed, 2 bath, 2000 ft home is worth $300k.

There's some neat 4x4 trails around here, the Bangs Canyon area is cool, so is the area around Glade Park and the Dolores Triangle is amazing. There's some hardcore trails like Billings Canyon and 21 Road, but they are body damage-breakage type trails. As Alec mentioned, Ouray and Silverton are a couple hours away which are one of a kind, scenic areas. We always make several trips that way after the snow melts off. Moab is a 90 min drive, it's easy to make a day-trip to Moab. There's tons of stuff to see in a few hours drive from here. The San Rafael Swell, Glenwood Springs, Uncompahgre Plateau, the Grand Mesa, etc, etc. We've been here 3 yrs and still haven't seen it all.

I live it here, it feels like 'home' and is a great place to live. :grinpimp:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.