Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Elite5m baja

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a gps. I am debating ither the HDS5 baja or Elite 5m. I like th hds for being able to add the eternal antenna in the future and that I can use lowrance topo to overlay since some roads here in nj are not on maps and in northern maine they make new roads all the time where I hunt and sometimes I'm close too 100 miles from paved roads.

The elite I like for the 256 color, cheaper (alittle), and slightly smaller. However I can't add topo to overlay. Also can't save as many trails.

What do you all think. Does anyone have ither and what there thoughts are on them?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have found it's best to have one dedicated to on-road navigation, and one dedicated to off-road navigation. It's the only way I could find all the features I wanted in the two environments.

If I had to have one, though, I would definitely keep the one with topo capability. That feature is more apt to save your a$$ off road than a regular gps on road.
Always have a map and compass, too.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
tom tom :thefinger:

lol id say go with the hds5 :smokin: the ability to do the topo overlay and save more trails sounds ideal for jeepin/ hunting etc.:beer:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Separates if you can afford it.... I have seen few windshield mounted styles that turn me on. I have been using CoPilot since version one came out in 1998 on a laptop, and man, having all that laptop visual real estate is addictive. I bought a Garmin GPS Map76 back in 2000, and while a bit dated, still provides serial NMEA data perfectly to the laptop. So I can get to the location using the laptop, then unplug the Garmin and carry it out on the hike.

I also use Delorme TOPO USA when off road, but there is no real reason to have two mapping programs except for features.... (Delorme has a TON of features including satellite map overlays, but I think CoPilot was easier to use for quick route planning. YMMV.)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All great ideas. Thanks. This gps is going to be stricktly for traveling and wheeling. I already have a garmin fotrexs for when on foot hunting and scouting. And I do carry maps and compass for backup along with extra batteries for gps. When hunting in maine I can burn 4 to 6 batteries a day with some of the areas I cover. I go places the residents and game wardens won't even go lmao. No offence ronjen. But back on track. Laptopis not an option ither for me. Running and wheeling in the water and mud we do here I have to have a waterproof unit. That's why I'm down to these two models
PHP:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Got the droid with view ranger cost 3 bucks has topo way points the whole kit and kaboddle also has google gps free has satilite view . After playing with it I wouldnt spend the money on a gps, only thing you get is a larger screen

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doing more research. Anyone have the nuvi 550 and there thoughts on it? From what I'm gathering the lowrance don't have turn by turn direction. Nuvi does plus topo, waterproof and can add maps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts