JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently killed my JK and need to replace the motor. I was on Vacation while it happened and so now i can't seem to figure out the best way to move it 3000 miles. Going from TN to Montana. Worst case scenario is i rent a 16ft moving truck from penske or budget, rent a car hauler and tow it to Montana. Between all those guys and uhaul, the 16ft is the smallest they will allow me to pull a trailer.

Does anyone know where i could rent a decent full size truck so i could then just rent a trailer and pull it? I checked with enterprise and the only trucks they have are v6 trucks... No way.

I really am racking my brain on which way to go. Any ideas? Money is, as always, an issue, otherwise i'd just rent a big truck and trailer from Penske and haul it.

Hmm, has anyone tried putting their 4door jeep, 4inch lift on 35's, inside a moving truck? I need to go find my measuring tape.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
I hauled a 86 F150 long bed on 33's in a penske truck once.

Why not contact a trucking company and see what it would cost for them to do it?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I'd just drop it at a dealer assuming it's a warranty failure and you didn't hydrolock it. Between the hassle and cost of renting something and pulling it, I'd fly home and rent a car and fly back when it's ready.

Complain like hell to Chrysler [dealer won't care] and they'll probably pay for the rental car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
could you not flat tow it. or rent a little dolly like they tow behind a motor home. if you put the transfer case in neutral it should tow ok. just a thought. then rent a pickup.

·
Registered
398 Posts
could you not flat tow it. or rent a little dolly like they tow behind a motor home. if you put the transfer case in neutral it should tow ok. just a thought. then rent a pickup.
Do NOT tow-dolly without disconnecting the drive shaft! You will destroy your transfer case. You can flat-tow in neutral, but all 4 wheels need to turn at the same rate.

Check out the car haulers for transport - some might even give you a ride!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do NOT tow-dolly without disconnecting the drive shaft! You will destroy your transfer case. You can flat-tow in neutral, but all 4 wheels need to turn at the same rate.

Check out the car haulers for transport - some might even give you a ride!
Wups sorry. Did not realize that would damage the transfer case. Sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Probably best to have a car shipping outfit like Horesless Carriage pick it up and send it to you. Always seem to have loads going from one point "A" to a point "B", no matter how remote. Just may take awhile for them to assemble a load. They'll not be cheap, but your liability will be covered and it'll be a lot less hassle on your end. Classic car dealers do this all the time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Car hauling from ca to oh was about 700-850. I once rented a moving truck and put the vehicle inside with the help of a flatbed tow truck, that'll at least save you trailer rental. Check out labor rates from home and where the jeep is broke and you may be able to fix for less and just fly back.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
You can check on www.uship.com and name your price and see if anyone agrees, or start an auction for your business. Neat site, never used it though.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I recently moved from Missouri to Texas. I used a Budget moving truck and a tow dolly trailer. The ones that the jeep sits on the trailer (not the one where the front wheels sit on the dolly. I ran into issues with companies that would allow me to tow the JK as most won't allow a wrangler to be towed. Best I could come up with was because of liability with the soft top. Long story short, I told them I was towing a Jeep Cherokee. My JK barely fit but it fit.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
You can check on www.uship.com and name your price and see if anyone agrees, or start an auction for your business. Neat site, never used it though.
uship.com is great!

I recently moved from Missouri to Texas. I used a Budget moving truck and a tow dolly trailer. The ones that the jeep sits on the trailer (not the one where the front wheels sit on the dolly. I ran into issues with companies that would allow me to tow the JK as most won't allow a wrangler to be towed. Best I could come up with was because of liability with the soft top. Long story short, I told them I was towing a Jeep Cherokee. My JK barely fit but it fit.
I went the Budget route when I had tranny issues. Keep in mind, depending on your JK, Budget has more that one sized autotranport trailer. I went to load it up, but my JK was too wide. Luckily, a larger trailer was returned within the hour.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
7 year revival after a month on the forum. Good work, Tips.
RubiZealot had a question in 2009 about tire drift that wasn't adequately answered, if you really want to be helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts