JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..I've had the OME HD springs on it for about 3 months and 5K. I've developed a bit of a shimmy around 50-55mph, over the last 1500 miles or so. I don't feel it before or after those speeds. I can feel it in the front end through the steering, and seat of my pants. What's causing this. I've been busy and haven't had a chance to get under it to check things out. It almost feels like an out of balance tire, except it only does it at those speeds. Most out of balance tires that I've had shake all the time.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
I would first check to make sure lugs are tight on all wheels. Tighten if needed then drive.
If they are tight. Then remove the tires and check the torque on the wheel spacers front and rear.
If those are good- I would next check the front and rear adj trackbars. If loose then tighten to correct ft lbs. At same time- make sure that tie rod and stabilizer are still tight.
Last thing might be to rebalance wheels and/ or see if you have lost any weights.
Not sure if a control arm may be loose but I wouldnt think so since low miles and stock.

*I would not do any of this without some feedback from the real experts on this forum. Someone else will confirm if this is the right stuff to check...and that aint me. This is just what I would personally check if I was having the same problem. Totally just my opinions.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
torquing everything on the suspension and lug nuts is a good start. re-balancing wheels would be a good thing to do also.
checking steering stabilizer for leaks/cracks/dents.

would you describe the steering wheel motion as more of a vibration, or visible shimmy?

vibration makes me think driveline as the source. shimmy makes me look for suspension or tires/wheels as the source. vibrations in the steering wheel usually come from front driveshaft. vibes in your azz usually come from rear driveshaft.

if you are driving in the speed range that causes the situation, does it happen only under acceleration, constant speed, deceleration, or all of the above. if it is a driveline vibe, it will usually only occur either during acceleration or deceleration, but not both.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I torqued everything down today. Nothing had loosened. I'm thinking it's drive line. How to tell which one? I haven't payed much attention to the shaft's...can I pull the front without loosing fluid? If I can that'll at least tell me if it's front or rear? Do many of the 4 doors have issues with driveline after with 3" of lift?

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
I torqued everything down today. Nothing had loosened. I'm thinking it's drive line. How to tell which one? I haven't payed much attention to the shaft's...can I pull the front without loosing fluid? If I can that'll at least tell me if it's front or rear? Do many of the 4 doors have issues with driveline after with 3" of lift?
I'd get your tires rebalanced before pulling shafts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're stock tires and I haven't lost any weight. I may have'em balanced anyway.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
get the tires balanced anyway.

what do you have your front pinion angle set to? is your rear pinion angle the same as the angle of the transfer case output angle?

if you still have stock driveshafts, and have had them about 3000 miles, it could very well be your driveshafts.

you didn't answer any of my previous questions. those would help diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
get the tires balanced anyway.

what do you have your front pinion angle set to? is your rear pinion angle the same as the angle of the transfer case output angle?

if you still have stock driveshafts, and have had them about 3000 miles, it could very well be your driveshafts.

you didn't answer any of my previous questions. those would help diagnosing the problem.
I have no idea what the pinion angles are. I have a 3 - 3.5 inch lift and stock arms. I'll have to get something to measure them. I'm still on stock shafts.

If it is shafts I'm assuming I should get some adjustable arms to correct the pinion angles.

I didn't answer your other questions because I haven't driven it over 25 mph today. I'll take it to work tomorrow morning and report back. It feels more like a vibration...I can feel it in the wheel a little. I can also feel it in my seat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't replace all 8 arms at once...money tree hasn't bloomed fully :shaking:. Should I do front and rear uppers, lowers, or a combination? What do I want to get my pinion angles to measure out to?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
A drive shaft vibe is a high speed vibration and will feel more like a buzz. You,ll usually feel it at higher speeds, but it may also only happen during a curtain speed window. I agree, first have your's tires balanced. If you still have a vibration, remove the front shaft and test drive it. If it's still there, then the problem is probably your rear drive shaft.

Drive shaft vibes and wheel vibrations have a different feel though. You should be able to tell by the frequency of it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well....went out to the garage last night for one final check. Noticed that the jam nut on the front adj. trackbar was loose. Put the wrench to it. Driving to work this morning and no vibes. Could that really have been it all along? Thanks for all the replies...very good info!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Well....went out to the garage last night for one final check. Noticed that the jam nut on the front adj. trackbar was loose. Put the wrench to it. Driving to work this morning and no vibes. Could that really have been it all along? Thanks for all the replies...very good info!
Could be. These bars wobble sometimes when the jam nuts are loose.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
That was also somthing I recommended. At some point, you might double check (since both are adjustable) that both the front and rear trackbars are both at the same length. You also might want to use some med strength threadlock on the jam nut. Make sure the threads are clean of grease, etc. Lastly, make sure that both trackbars are torqued to the recommended ft lbs...rather than simply tightening them. Trackbars normally see a lot of stress/ weight transfer and should be dealt with as such. Good to hear you can commute above 25 mph now!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if none of these "remedies" work.. i'd suggest to take it down to the 4wheelparts and have them take a look at it.
:shaking:4WP...HA...don't think so bud :shaking:. I got it. It was the jam nut that had worked loose. I just figured it would be something much more complicated than a loose jam nut. :beer:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.