JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been chasing fuel spill, no take, evap and GASCAP gremlins for the two years I have had this 2007 X... I am the second owner and I have 120K on the clock now.

I know the TSBs call for fuel tank replacement, but I have no warranty. I DID file a complaint with the NTSB at another forum members suggestion... Got the letter today from Chrystler: "... warranty period on your vehicles fuel inlet check valve has been extended to lifetime coverage."

Just last night I was freezing my fingers off trying to get the fucker to take $50 worth- nevermind topping it off. Anyway, hope this makes some of yall early JK owners feel a little better!

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When is yours going in?

I got it too!!!!
I have an exam tomorrow, but I think they give you a rental on all recall stuff. If so I will drop it off after class. I bet they give me a whole gas tank like they did on all the TSB / warranty jobs for the same issue. I doubt they will incure the labor of pulling the valve when they can drop the tank in an hour.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
I have an 07 and just had the tsb work done recently as well as the purge solenoid replaced. It doesn't cover the tank, just the neck with the check valve in it. They put 10 gallons in it to prove it was fixed and didn't charge me for it which was cool, but today when I went to put gas in for the first time, it was still a pita. The only other fix is a new tank which is not covered.

· Registered
915 Posts
I have an 07 and just had the tsb work done recently as well as the purge solenoid replaced. It doesn't cover the tank, just the neck with the check valve in it. They put 10 gallons in it to prove it was fixed and didn't charge me for it which was cool, but today when I went to put gas in for the first time, it was still a pita. The only other fix is a new tank which is not covered.
Maybe I was lucky but after they did the recall I couldnt fill up. It would take 20 minutes to put half a tank in. After 3 days at the dealer they replaced my tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My problem is't spillage...

...It simply will not take fuel. The lower the lever, i.e. fumes, the worse it is.
Sure, you could say not to run it that low- but I'm so broke I'm jackin' off the dog to feed the cat.

I have no warranty whatsoever, my only home is to be obstinate enough to get a whole tank in lieu of labor. Is it true you get a rental with warranty work?

· Registered
1,644 Posts
got mine too but not liking the sounds of this...previously dealers wanted 100 from me to replace the tank, and well yes I am cheap didn't do it and have bashed my skid so its nice and snug around the tank.....

· Registered
235 Posts
I had my done on my 07 JKU when the notice first came out. Thought it would only take a hour or 2 to replace the neck. Went to drop it off the dealer said they would have to replace the whole tank and had to order it and for me to bring it back the next week. Happy I got a free tank now.

· Registered
60 Posts
It takes 20minutes to replace the neck & you don't get a rental call for this work. And it's not a recall, it's a Technical Service Bulletin & it applies to 07 & 08 JKs built before March 1, 2007 and after March 31, 2008. The part is probably national back ordered & will take a few weeks to get them in.

· Registered
822 Posts
My problem was the damn thing kept filling up the evap canister with liquid gas. And since the evap canister vents up near the fuel filler, every time I shut the vehicle off, the vapors of raw gas were overpowering. (the evap canister apparently vents to the atomosphere when the key is turned off)

After repeated trips to the dealer and repeated warranty denials (past the 3/36) I finally just bought a new tank and replaced it myself. Problem solved. Now I am going to send in my receipt and see if Chrysler reimburses me for the tank. Probably not, but its worth a try.

· Registered
64 Posts
I just bought my first JK last week. My brother in law is a salesman at my local dealer and he's taking it in tomorrow to have this issue taken care of. Hopefully it all goes smooth and the replacement neck will clear up the problem.

· Registered
1,643 Posts
I had the overspill issue and had my tank replaced a couple years back under the TSB. All had been well but the last couple months I have had more issues with burping fuel at fill up again (and I never "top off"). Hope I don't need to have it replaced again.

· JKO Dickhead
3,526 Posts
Mine is available for the TSB, but another guy in my local club had his done a few weeks ago, and was unbale to get in a few bucks of gas at a time and had to bring it back...

I told him I am just careful not to fill it all the way up, and once it happened once, i am aware enough to nt have had it happen again... may let this one slide

· Registered
1,886 Posts
I had the overspill issue and had my tank replaced a couple years back under the TSB. All had been well but the last couple months I have had more issues with burping fuel at fill up again (and I never "top off"). Hope I don't need to have it replaced again.
If you need it done again, this time it will be just a redesigned filler tube.
It's easy and cheap if you want to do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.