JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... well more like submerged in mud. So while wheelin a few months back at Creek I decided to take on the frog hole and not to my knowledge my AEV ProCal ended up on the floor taking a swim. Obviously its totally dried out now but now that I need to reprogram my ECU Im afraid to plug the damn thing in! My biggest fear is it shorting and frying the ECU mid tune. Should I be worried? Should I crack it open and clean it with alcohol? I just dont want a stupid $150 tuner to fry my much more expensive ECU! I believe that now that im tuned I cant even get a new procal to reprogram. :mad: Any advice? Thanks.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
I would crack it open to at least inspect the circuit board traces. Whenever you get PCB's wet the potential to have traces short out is possible if any moisture or iron deposit is left behind. Alcohol won't help much, you would need contact cleaner or something that dries quickly and is safe for the epoxy coating over the traces. Maybe contact AEV and see what they can do, possible low cost exchange while salvaging your VIN? I would be very reserved about plugging it in until you know the internal condition though.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Put it in a brown paper bag full of uncooked rice for a couple of days. Works for cell phones.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It won't have shorted while unplugged. The main problem you would have is if it has corroded internally from the water. Electronics are very water tolerant provided they are sealed, (of course), or off when they get wet. But, if the traces or contacts corrode, all bets are off.

I worked in avioincs for 20 years and the typical cleaning method was to wash in soapy water, rinse in clean, then rinse off the water with isopropyl alcohol (it doesn't leave a residue). Then usually dry in an oven at 80 degrees Celcius for half an hour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts