JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming down the road you see in this pic. It is quite a steep downhill stretch of road. I was traveling 35mph (the speed limit). I saw the lady in her white Ford Freestyle sitting on the side street with her left turn signal on, waiting to pull out and go straight across the street. Then, all of a sudden, when I was a mere 3 or 4 car lengths away, she pulls out. I applied the brakes but knew quickly I would never stop in time so I swerved into the oncoming lanes (nobody was coming), still she managed to drive into the passenger side of my vehicle with the front driver-side corner of her van.

She insists she never saw me. She weighed like 350lbs and was probably too fat to turn her head and look. :shaking:

The damage wasn't bad for me. The plastic fender was almost completely torn from the quarter panel and had a dent in it. Also the area just behind the door near the rocker panel also received a small dent and some scratches. Apparently she also hit my tire since I had white paint on it. It doesn't look like there is any damage to the drive-train though. It drove fine on the way home.

You guys like my high-tech temporary repair? :lol:

She had her headlight cracked and hanging out my the wire, bumper cracked and hanging loose, and drivers side from fender completly caved in and deformed. I think that's what hit my tire. :laughing2:

Monday I have to call her insurance company to file a claim report. Then I'll need to take it in to get an estimate. I figure it shouldn't be too bad.

Still sucks though. She only has 4,500 miles on her. :(

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,377 Posts
Man that sucks. Glad your Jeep survived with minimal damage and noone was hurt.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
That sucks, be sure to take it to get your own estimate from a shop you choose. If you choose to fix it (I'd probably buy tube fenders or something) the shop their insurance uses for a quote usually will low ball you.

I know when I had hail damage my own insurance cut me a check for $1200 and said they'd fix it for that at "our body shop"....thats funny, "my body shop" needed $5,000 to fix it..Had I chosen not to fix it, I would have been short-changed by a bunch!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I got into an accident in Feb of this year. Damage didnt look too bad, but ended up being over $7000. To this day, my Jeep isn't the same. Make sure you get your Jeep back to EXACTLY the way it was before the collision. My front passenger door still wont close properly unless you close it with authority.

Glad no one was hurt, blah, blah, blah.... Stupid bitch should've looked before going.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I also got in a wreck 6 months ago , everything seemed ok! Until recently! Dealer is rebuilding the front diff as we speak!

Make sure you take it to a good shop you trust, I have been tossed around for two weeks between insurance and warranty crap nobody will foot the bill. Finally got it in a shop that understands!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got into an accident in Feb of this year. Damage didnt look too bad, but ended up being over $7000. To this day, my Jeep isn't the same. Make sure you get your Jeep back to EXACTLY the way it was before the collision. My front passenger door still wont close properly unless you close it with authority.

Glad no one was hurt, blah, blah, blah.... Stupid bitch should've looked before going.
I drove it quite a bit today and it drives 100% fine. Thankfully, the damage seems to be merely cosmetic.

I'm pretty happy with how well the Jeep held up. Built like a tank! :smokin:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Had a Nissan Xterra... I was driving down the street in a similar situation I was in a middle through lane with a person turning right in the right lane, person waiting to turn left in the left lane. and a bus coming in the oncomming lane. going about 25 to 30 mph and some skinny guy in a jeep grand cherokee decided he was going to drive across the street and into the side of my Xterra. lol.

The kicker in my story was how the driver in the jeep got out and was telling me how it was my fault because he didn't see me between the two turning cars. I promptly asked if he wanted to be kicked in the nuts for saying something so retarded. He went back to his car and I went to pick up some pieces of plastic and his plate that hit the bus in the oncomming lane. I then called the police and told him I was going to let the police sort it out because he ran a stop sign and drive directly into the side of a vehicle that had the right of way. And for that mess he was going to get a ticket. Once the police officer showed up (5 minutes because we were a few blocks from a police station lol) he repeated how it should be at least part my fault because I was in the middle lane (the through lane) and he didn't see me. The officer let him know that isn't how it works and gave him a ticket. Then I filed a claim on his insurance and had them repair my Xterra.

So you should be happy she didn't pull the its your fault line out lol. :shaking:

If you want a map it is west alameda ave (lakewood colorado) and south saulsbury st. I was going south on Saulsbury between Alameda and Alaska he was going east out of the parking lot between those two streets. look at the SAT map on google maps lol.

Here are photos... Not looking bad lol. But the door wouldn't open an you could actually fit a hand through the door and the car. Window didn't work and was noisy as heck driving it.

IMAGE_171 by jchurch, on Flickr

IMG_7941 by jchurch, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Glad you're OK amigo! Sucks about the Jeep! I know I don't mind if I put dents in my shit but if someone else does it SUCKS! :pissed:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that sucks, stupid fatty (i can say that cause im fat)

btw where is that at?
Scranton, PA

Had a Nissan Xterra... I was driving down the street in a similar situation I was in a middle through lane with a person turning right in the right lane, person waiting to turn left in the left lane. and a bus coming in the oncomming lane. going about 25 to 30 mph and some skinny guy in a jeep grand cherokee decided he was going to drive across the street and into the side of my Xterra. lol.

The kicker in my story was how the driver in the jeep got out and was telling me how it was my fault because he didn't see me between the two turning cars. I promptly asked if he wanted to be kicked in the nuts for saying something so retarded. He went back to his car and I went to pick up some pieces of plastic and his plate that hit the bus in the oncomming lane. I then called the police and told him I was going to let the police sort it out because he ran a stop sign and drive directly into the side of a vehicle that had the right of way. And for that mess he was going to get a ticket. Once the police officer showed up (5 minutes because we were a few blocks from a police station lol) he repeated how it should be at least part my fault because I was in the middle lane (the through lane) and he didn't see me. The officer let him know that isn't how it works and gave him a ticket. Then I filed a claim on his insurance and had them repair my Xterra.

So you should be happy she didn't pull the its your fault line out lol. :shaking:

If you want a map it is west alameda ave (lakewood colorado) and south saulsbury st. I was going south on Saulsbury between Alameda and Alaska he was going east out of the parking lot between those two streets. look at the SAT map on google maps lol.

Here are photos... Not looking bad lol. But the door wouldn't open an you could actually fit a hand through the door and the car. Window didn't work and was noisy as heck driving it.

IMAGE_171 by jchurch, on Flickr

IMG_7941 by jchurch, on Flickr
Oh she tried to say it was partially my fault because I should have been able to stop in time. Yes I can stop a 5,000lb Jeep traveling downhill @ 35mph in only 30 feet. :shaking:

whats funny is i have dents in the exact same spot in the tub and fender flare but on the drivers side...mine are from wheeling though:D
If they were from wheeling I wouldn't care. :thefinger:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The damage wasn't bad for me. The plastic fender was almost completely torn from the quarter panel and had a dent in it. Also the area just behind the door near the rocker panel also received a small dent and some scratches. Apparently she also hit my tire since I had white paint on it. It doesn't look like there is any damage to the drive-train though. It drove fine on the way home.

You guys like my high-tech temporary repair? :lol:

I've done worse on the trail. Fender is an easy fix, just pull it completely off and pop-out the dent. If necessary, use a heat gun from the inside to soften it up a little (if you use heat on the outside it will make the plastic shine, use a scotch bright pad to knock down the shine).

Just buff the scratches out of the dent and leave it be. Adjust the hinge to get your door closing right. Take the $2500-3000 it would cost to replace/paint the quarter panel and use it for mods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've done worse on the trail. Fender is an easy fix, just pull it completely off and pop-out the dent. If necessary, use a heat gun from the inside to soften it up a little (if you use heat on the outside it will make the plastic shine, use a scotch bright pad to knock down the shine).

Just buff the scratches out of the dent and leave it be. Adjust the hinge to get your door closing right. Take the $2500-3000 it would cost to replace/paint the quarter panel and use it for mods.
A decent sized piece of paint completely chipped off of the quarter panel, revealing the bare metal, so it must be repainted at minimum to prevent rust.

The door is closing fine as is now. The dent is closer to the fender flare.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A decent sized piece of paint completely chipped off of the quarter panel, revealing the bare metal, so it must be repainted at minimum to prevent rust.

The door is closing fine as is now. The dent is closer to the fender flare.
Scotch-brite pad, primer, Duplicolor and clear coat. Do at least the primer now before it starts to rust. It's a Jeep. You wheel it, right? Damage is inevitable.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just realistic. I wash and wax my Jeep more than most. I buff-out the trail pinstripes once a year. So I understand wanting to keep your rig as cherry as possible. On the other hand, dents and dings are like badges of honor in Jeep circles. They add character. Make up some story about the awesome rock you leaned-up against at Rausch Creek to explain that dent. $2,500 will pay for some nice wheels and tires, or a RK lift kit, bumpers and a winch, etc...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scotch-brite pad, primer, Duplicolor and clear coat. Do at least the primer now before it starts to rust. It's a Jeep. You wheel it, right? Damage is inevitable.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just realistic. I wash and wax my Jeep more than most. I buff-out the trail pinstripes once a year. So I understand wanting to keep your rig as cherry as possible. On the other hand, dents and dings are like badges of honor in Jeep circles. They add character. Make up some story about the awesome rock you leaned-up against at Rausch Creek to explain that dent. $2,500 will pay for some nice wheels and tires, or a RK lift kit, bumpers and a winch, etc...
I might be doing this. I really want to lift and go to 35"s :D It all depends on how high the damage is estimated at.

How much do you guys think it would be to fix that?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Check that rear axle shaft for being bent. I tagged a chunk of concrete going slow and somehow ended up with a bent shaft out of it.

Ron

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Find a shop that can check everything. Trama can do damage in the strangest places. Hope that you get it all fixed up soon!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I drove it quite a bit today and it drives 100% fine. Thankfully, the damage seems to be merely cosmetic.

I'm pretty happy with how well the Jeep held up. Built like a tank! :smokin:
Actually it is not just cosmetic...... You just lost some trade in value too! Make her insurace compensate you for that too. They want bring it up but if you do they have to pay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.