JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alot of run-ins with the 'law' for such a law abiding citizen! Bringing 8 trailers back from Al to Ca (home) to resell to help pay for fuel for the trip. I always thought if you were in a pick up truck you didnt need to go into the weigh station Port near the entrance of a state. I have been driving right by them for 25 years without a hitch. Today I was informed that you must in New Mexico:pissed: is that even a state?:thefinger: The nice officer wrote me up for 5 infractions, and cited me for 2 @ $150 each. I guess it could have been worse.
I argued that the trailers were in my name and for my personal use and I was not commercial. He didnt buy it and told me I could tell it to the Judge.:bawling:
Not worth coming back 1000 miles to fight a $300 ticket, so I pled guilty and took the ticket. Dustoff- I dont want to hear it:thefinger: One of my hobbies is getting a ticket, then try to 'loophole' my way out of it!:thefinger:

So here I sit in a motel- one of the things I got wrote up for is no log book---- if you dont have a logbook, they wont let you drive off for 10 hours.:shaking: So I can get going again at 12:45am Sunday morning!

OK- I feel better now after venting! Sorry, no pics this time!!!:beer:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Sounds like a load to me, it sounds like they saw you were from out of state and would prolly pay rather than fight it,,,that sucks. i have never heard of having to pull into one in a pick-up truck, and as for the log, maybe you should start one and start logging all your tickets :thefinger:

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are my infractions- he only cited me for 2 (he let me pick which 2)

1. Passing a weigh station without pulling in
2. not buying a trip permit from said station
3. no log book
4. no medical card
5. cant remember- I have to check my papers

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Myself, I would spend the 300 and more for a local (new mexico) ticket fighting attorny.. in FLorida there is group called ticket clinic. Cost me a little more..but no points and no record.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You shouldn't need a logbook or medical card if you don't have a cdl (comercial drivers license). I believe the weight limit for a cdl is 26000 lbs or more registered gvw so if you're less than that you should not have been cited.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am a truck driver, And this sounds right for a "commercial Vehicle"

Here is all you need to read up on for the rules... FMCSA

IIRC, If your GVWR is 26,000 lbs and under, And you are "Not For Hire" you are exempt from Log Books, Medical Cards Weigh Stations.

What exactly are you driving? And your trailer?

Does the tow rig have USDOT number on it?

New Mexico and Wyoming are the only srates i know of that likes to inspect Pickups pulling trailers, And they have big signs stating so.

Good luck fighting it, And let me know if i can help.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2005 Dodge dually cummins crewcab 4wd, 30' gooseneck trailer. Full of smaller trailers. I'll post a pic when I get home.

No DOT numbers, no CDL, nothing. What got me is not knowing to pull in. They are going after 'hotshot' rigs (mine looks like that). I would have been ok if I had "private" or "not for hire" on the truck and I had pulled in to buy a permit. At least this was the impression I got.

I cant drive till later (on 10 hour suspension) so in the meantime I went looking for stickers to write "not for hire" on the side of the truck. Didnt find stickers, so I bought a dry erase felt marker and wrote it on there.

Now I am marked not for hire- I am thinking about whether I should pull in or not at the station when I get to Arizona??? And Ca.??? What do you think?

I am not going to fight it. I signed admitting guilt. He asked if I was going to fight or just pay- I weighed my options, then signed guilty. He filled out paper accordingly. I think that is so they know I am not going to fight the ticket- or cannot, after agreeing to sign off as 'guilty'.

My arguement was that they are my trailers in my name---so I am not commercial. Seemed logical to me. The ticket was originally going to be 5 x $150, but I think he gave some credit to my argument and split it with me. He knew I was going to resell the the trailers, but I would not admit that to him.

Anyways- Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
you are correct about the Hot Shots...

re you on I-10? I would guess yes. NMDOT on I-40 are a little better since it's not on the damned border.

I think your good to go for AZ and CA to bypass. I don't recall any restrictions for you there.

I would fight it! You are being fined illegally for the LogBooks and such.

Did they make you drop the trailer in the Port of Entry?

I woould be getting the US Marshall involved since you are not reguired by law to follow those rules... just sayin.

I have to deal with this crap all the time, And it gets really frustrating.

I am headed to Phoenix now from Missouri...YAY!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Also...

You do have the titles for the trailers on the gooseneck and they are in your name right?

Did he try bust you for not having a Bill of Lading?

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I-40

didnt make me drop the trailer- let me drive it to hotel.

had Manufacturers cert of origin papers in my name for all the trailers. My Gooseneck isnt in my name, but I have the pink with me (just bought it a while back)

Didnt ask about a BOL, but I wasnt delivering for anyone but myself anyways!

I think he shoulda let me go!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yeah... This whole thing stinks! Good luck man...

Are you in San Jon? There is NOTHING there! LOL

If i get out your way, I would like to grab a few ammo cans and a pack from ya...:)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Blah...blah...blah....sob...sob...sob....quit your whinin'...get your hand out of your pecker pocket and put it in your wallet pocket and pay the freakin' ticket already.... and then be on your way...that'll "larn" ya'...:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
heh... I will be in Tucumcari in about 7 hours...

breakfast at the Flying J? :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.