JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked it up last Thursday. It's a Starcraft Travel Star Sport 18RB. The trailer has two flip out beds and a full bathroom. It only weighs 2600 lbs. We took it to Stone Mountain last weekend to break it in. Morris Mountain will be her maiden trail ride in 2 weeks with the GATrailriders. I can't wait.

I was trying to decide between this and Fleetwood's Evolution 3 off road pop up, but I really didn't want to hastle with lifting it just to get in. I was concearned about the wind drag of a hybrid camper, but my test pull convinced me, it would pull fine. I still have 4.10 gears with 37's, and cruise right down the road. I will be getting gears next month though and a trans cooler next week.

More pics here.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x164/SeminoleMike/Camper/?start=all

·
Registered
38 Posts
NICE!
Usually you see the Jeep behind the motorhome, not doing the pulling!

How much water and gray storage does that have?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very cool!!!! I've been wanting something like that but wasn't sure if the Jeep would be a good pull vehicle for it...

Looks like I need to look into regearing to pull it though...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool!!!! I've been wanting something like that but wasn't sure if the Jeep would be a good pull vehicle for it...

Looks like I need to look into regearing to pull it though...
It really depends on what tires and gears you are currently running and the terrain you'll be pulling over. I currently have 37's with 4.10 gears and I am able to get the job done without too much complaint. I won't pull it more than 5 or 6 hours away until I get the new gears though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It really depends on what tires and gears you are currently running and the terrain you'll be pulling over. I currently have 37's with 4.10 gears and I am able to get the job done without too much complaint. I won't pull it more than 5 or 6 hours away until I get the new gears though.
I've got a stock Sahara... Gears are 3.21 with the stock 31 inch tires... I really don't think I'd pull it over anything more rough than paved roads and very light trails... (grass, packed dirt, gravel...)

This is my first Jeep/Truck so I'm not working with any experience pulling anything... I'm looking at it purely from what I've been reading... What's your take on what I got and what I can pull??

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've got a stock Sahara... Gears are 3.21 with the stock 31 inch tires...

This is my first Jeep/Truck so I'm not working with any experience pulling anything... I'm looking at it purely from what I've been reading... What's your take on what I got and what I can pull??
By terrain, I mostly meant how many and how big are the hills. The hills are what kill you.

I would guess that you are somewhere in the same ballpark as me with 4.10's and 37's, probably even better. You would just need to pull something to see. I would think you would be OK with your gears until you upgrade to larger tires.

You should be able to pull about 2500 to 3000 lbs comfortably.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good looking trailer/camper, should be fun

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like the color and the size is just right, Nice Jeep too, congrats!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Very Sweet setup, Rubi looks awesome in front of your new camper, man are you & your family going to have a ball in that combo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a new 08 Jeep Sahara JK, stock...I will be pulling a small 13 ft travel trailer (ECO) which, fully loaded, weighs only 3490lbs, dry weight is 2480.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread. just wanted to add that the Unlimited is not a bad tow vehicle for these lightweight trailer.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
HOw you guys do it ill never know. I dislike my Rubi with 34's on the highway already. I have to keep the RPM's way up to keep 70 mph. I fall to 60 or below on any grade of 3% or more

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HOw you guys do it ill never know. I dislike my Rubi with 34's on the highway already. I have to keep the RPM's way up to keep 70 mph. I fall to 60 or below on any grade of 3% or more
The trick is to always drive down hill.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I try to not be in a hurry......Besides you dont want to be doing 70 in a jeep pulling a trailer. 60-65 no problem on flat hiway.......40-45 headed up to Big Bear Lake in Calif.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts